Silent walk on campus honors Holocaust victims

Thursday afternoon, the Auburn community silently walked from the Shelby Concourse to the Green Space in honor of Yom HaShoah, the Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day.

Known as We Walk to Remember, the annual event is sponsored by B’nai B’rith International and Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. The walk is part of a larger program named Unto Every Person There is a Name, so names of victims are read aloud before walking.

Nearly 70 college campuses across the nation partake in this program and event to honor Jewish history and tradition.

“This walk is a time for us to come together, stand up as a Jewish community and acknowledge everyone affected by the tragic events of the Holocaust,” Alpha Epsilon Pi member Jeremy Newman said.

One of the most recognizable participants in the walk each year is Head Basketball Coach Bruce Pearl.

“We live in a great country where we’re able to do things like this freely,” Pearl said. “The purpose of the walk is to honor the survivors of the Holocaust and never let it happen again.”

Alongside Pearl, student Elizabeth Zimmerman walked with her classmates from Women and Leadership. Zimmerman is a former president of Auburn Hillel, the University’s Jewish Student Organization.

“My great-grandparents were killed in the Holocaust so I grew up learning about it. I’m glad events like this exist to promote awareness,” Zimmerman said. 

Although We Walk to Remember only lasts for a few minutes, it has long-lasting impact on the Auburn community.

Share and discuss “Silent walk on campus honors Holocaust victims” on social media.