Is Auburn's campus safer?

A girl walks the lit path to her parked car with a friend. She has mase in her hand and her keys between her fingers. Her eyes and ears are alert to every unexpected noise or movement stirring her surroundings.

Since the death of freshman Lauren Burk, an increased emphasis has been placed on things both campus security and students can do to make sure they are safe at the University.

AU Alert, security cameras and increased police presence on campus are just some of the things Auburn University President Jay Gogue said the University has been working on for the past year and a half.

Susan McCallister, associate director of public safety information and education, said students need to sign-up for AU Alert because it allows them to receive information faster than getting it through e-mail.

"We really only use the system if it's a situation that requires their immediate action or to convey critical time sensitive information," McCallister said.

While in the past students have had to register for both text messaging and voice mails, now they can choose one or the other, McCallister said, which is just one of the new features the University has been working on.

"We're also working right now on adding some functionality for Facebook and Twitter," McCallister said. "We're working with some folks in engineering as a pilot program to get alert messages sent to their digital displays in the Shelby Center and if everything works well with that then we'll be moving forward with getting that done in other buildings on campus."

Auburn Police Capt. Tom Stofer said they have increased patrols on campus, especially after hours and around the library and residence halls. He said they also involved in safety talks and Rape Aggression Defense classes.

"Our mission is to protect the students and citizens of Auburn and keep them and their property safe," Stofer said.

Gogue admits campus security is something the University is still working on.

"A lot's been done in a year and a half," Gogue said. "Is it perfect? No. Can we do more? Yes. Are we trying to figure out ways to improve it? We are."

Share and discuss “Is Auburn's campus safer?” on social media.