Blogs give job advice

Auburn University's Career Development Services has developed a blog called Tigers Prepare to help students find jobs upon college graduation.

The Web site address is tigersprepare.blogspot.com.

"It's up-to-date ways that students can approach their job search strategically, proactively, to give them information and opinions about writing resumes, cover letters and how to prepare for maybe some of the events that we've had on campus," said Katie Mantooth, a Career Development Services career counselor.

The blog was started last summer as a way to get information out to students in a more casual, conversational fashion.

Mantooth said depending on the article, it may even be humorous.

Mantooth said they wanted to be able to offer more than just their tip sheets to help advise students.

"It's just kind of the questions we get a lot and trying to put some good information out there that's not just regurgitation of our tip sheet that we have," Mantooth said. "It's a little more of the commentary, editorial type approach to it I guess."

Mantooth said weekly updates on the Web site are the goal.

Mantooth said one week might not have an update and the next week might have more than one to make up for missing the week.

There have been 25 posts on the blogging Web site so far.

"We have some outreach interns in our office, and it's a way for them to get published as well," Mantooth said. "So some of them are actually written by students who've done some research about what's going on with the economy and tips for students."

Mantooth said some of the blogs are written by students who have advice about how to deal with the economy as a graduating student.

"As a senior, I know the typical college student's concerns and fears and I do substantial research to ensure the topic can be fully addressed," said senior Kelly Cargill, a Career Development Services PR intern.

Cargill said the blog offers helpful resources to students beyond what the CDS already offers.

Cargill said it also relates everything posted to the most up-to-date issues facing students entering the workforce today.

"We work hard to find topics relevant to what students are going through while avoiding those that seem to repeat the same information, never offering new insight," Cargill said.

So far the relatively new Web site has already had 1,368 hits.

"We would love for students to start writing comments," Mantooth said. "That'd be very cool."

Cargill said Tigers Prepare is not the only blog the CDS offers.

Tigers Prepare is a preparatory blog for the upperclassmen, but an explore blog for the underclassmen also exists.

"Personally I'm better sitting down with someone one-on-one when it comes to resumes and stuff, but with job searching and tips I think the Web site is definitely helpful," said Jordan Simmons, a senior in communications.

Mantooth said when looking for a job, networking is more important than ever.

He said a great resume is a must, cover letters are key and errors on a resume act as a way to weed out applicants.

"We can help with all of that," Mantooth said.

Share and discuss “Blogs give job advice” on social media.