Bonner, Boddie selected in WNBA Draft

WNBA Commissioner Donna Orender poses with DeWanna Bonner after being drafted No. 5 overall by the Phoenix Mercury during the 2009 WNBA Draft Thursday in Secaucus, New Jersey. Copyright 2009 NBAE  (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images) DeWanna Bonner; Donna Orender.
WNBA Commissioner Donna Orender poses with DeWanna Bonner after being drafted No. 5 overall by the Phoenix Mercury during the 2009 WNBA Draft Thursday in Secaucus, New Jersey. Copyright 2009 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images) DeWanna Bonner; Donna Orender.

Auburn's DeWanna Bonner and Whitney Boddie were selected by the Phoenix Mercury and the Sacramento Monarchs, respectively, in the WNBA Draft Thursday.

Bonner was taken in the first round as the fifth overall pick, and Boddie was selected in the second round, 20th overall. Bonner became the first Tiger ever to be selected in the first round.

This marks the first time two players from Auburn were selected in the same WNBA Draft.

In Bonner's senior season at Auburn, she broke the school's career scoring record with 2,162 points. She was selected SEC Player of the Year and was a National Player of the Year candidate. She was also named to the State Farm/WBCA First-Team All-America team.

Boddie earned All-SEC first team honors and was an honorable mention AP and State Farm/WBCA All-American.

The two led Auburn to an SEC regular season title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament as a No. 2 seed.

Share and discuss “Bonner, Boddie selected in WNBA Draft” on social media.