Congenital amputee to compete in Saturday's 'Auburn Fight Night'

After being blasted by critics, barred from competition and avoided by opponents due to publicity backlash, Kyle Maynard is ready to fight.

Maynard, a mixed martial arts fighter and former wrestler, was born with the rare disorder congenital amputation.

He has no elbows or knees, but he will be fighting Saturday at the Auburn covered arena.

"I'm ready to put all the critics behind me and just get in the cage," Maynard said. "It's not about me or my story, I am doing this for myself."

Maynard, the recipient of thr 2004 ESPN Espy award for Best Athlete With a Disability, will take part in the feature bout of "Auburn Fight Night."

Those critical of Maynard have said this is just a publicity stunt, but Maynard said this fight is all about his desire to fight an MMA bout.

Training with current mixed martial arts professionals has been a key element to his preparation.

"I've been at camps working with some of the top MMA guys that fight on television," Maynard said.

The state of Georgia would not approve Maynard's request to take part in a sanctioned MMA fight

Maynard, who has not fought in a amateur MMA bout, thinks the differences between wrestling and martial arts will not hinder his ability to fight.

"I don't think my condition will make it any harder to fight," Maynard said. "If the fight stays up or goes down to the ground I'll be ready. The two styles are a lot alike, and require pretty much the same skills."

Maynard's promoter David Oblas, an Auburn alum, said finding an opponent for Maynard has been difficult.

His Friday opponent has been withheld until the night of the fight, after having other opponents back out in fear of public backlash.

Maynard's publicity has extended well beyond the ring, having done everything from modeling for Abercombie & Fitch to appearing on Oprah.

He also authored the memoir "No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amnputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling and in Life."

The doors will open 7 p.m. Friday, ticket information can be found at www.battlepass.com. Tickets are available for $20 in advance and $25 for general admission the day of the fight. The first fight on the card will start at 8 p.m.

Groups attending can sign up for $400 VIP tables.

Share and discuss “Congenital amputee to compete in Saturday's 'Auburn Fight Night'” on social media.