Tigers swept by No. 6 Georgia

The Auburn softball team dropped a disappointing three-game series to the sixth-ranked Georgia Bulldogs last weekend at Jane B. Moore Field.

Auburn entered the weekend with a 27-17 overall record and a 7-10 record in the SEC; however, the Tigers fell to 7-13 after the Bulldogs swept the double header on Saturday and the series finale Sunday.

In game one, the Bulldogs hit four home runs in a 7-2 victory.

Sophomore Kyndall White got the Tigers on the board with a home run in the bottom of the sixth inning. It was White's fourth home run of the season.

Amber Harrison hit a sac rifice fly to left field to bring in pinch-runner Megan Mitchell.

The Tiger rally brought the deficit to 7-2, however Georgia went on to close the game.

The Bulldogs maintained their momentum with an early 2-0 lead in the second game Saturday night.

Georgia added to its lead with five runs in the final inning to conclude the night with a 10-0 victory.

Senior Myesha Finney went into the weekend leading the Tigers with a .318 batting average and was 10th in the SEC with a .479 on-base percentage.

Finney said the team hoped to perform well in the series, but they could not come away with a win.

"We came into this weekend knowing we needed to win at least two games," Finney said. "We prepared well, but we just couldn't get it done."

Auburn also sponsored a home run derby to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in between Saturday's two games.

The derby featured Auburn Alumni to raise money for the cause.

Former football players Frank Sanders and Jerraud Powers, former basketball players Quantez Robertson and Sherrell Hobbs, former Auburn baseball player Bobby Huddleston and former Auburn softball player Mary Petrie Thompson all participated in the event.

Fans were given pledge cards to donate money for each home run.

Georgia completed the series sweep with a 12-6 victory Sunday afternoon.

The Bulldogs jumped on the scoreboard in the first inning to give UGA a 2-0 lead.

Auburn catch Elizabeth Eisterhold made it a 5-1 game with a home run to open the bottom of the third.

The Tigers continued the third inning rally when Kyndall White hit a double to bring in Lauren Guzman and Cassie Trosclair.

Eisterhold hit a second home run in the bottom of the fourth, her sixth of the season.

It was the first multi-home run game for Eisterhold, but it was not enough to overcome the sixth-ranked Bulldogs.

Coach Tina Deese said disappointment was a good word to describe the weekend.

"We came out, we were focused, we had a good approach and we were on it," Deese said. "We were a good team, but we ran into a better team."

Deese also said the team will have to re-focus in order to look forward to the remainder of the season.

The Tigers are set to travel to Mississippi State April 22 for a two-game series, and then to Alabama April 25.

Auburn will host LSU May 2 to close the season.

"We just have to take each series one at a time," Finney said. "We are going to really focus on Mississippi State coming up, and then we will look ahead to LSU at home."

Share and discuss “Tigers swept by No. 6 Georgia” on social media.