UPC hosts Tiger Nights Casino: High Rolling on The Plains

DIGITAL CAMERA
DIGITAL CAMERA

Students, faculty members and Auburn community members got the opportunity to play like high rollers on campus tonight. The Auburn University Program Council hosted Tiger Nights Casino: High Rolling on The Plains at the Student Center from 7 p.m. to midnight.

After signing a waiver releasing the University from any responsibility for injury, students were given a map, a wristband and four tickets. Two of the tickets were redeemable for food, and the other two were redeemable for chips to wager at the different gambling stations in the Student Center Ballroom.

Freddie Guzman, UPC Tiger Nights assistant director and junior in microbiology, said the committee printed 5,000 waiver forms, but was only expecting about 3,500 people to attend the event.

"It's a fun event, but there are risks involved," Guzman said.

Some activities included mechanical bull riding, laser tag, big glove boxing and gambling. Roulette, craps, poker, blackjack and Texas Hold'em tables were set up in the Ballroom.

Trent Carroll, a freshman in aerospace engineering, said it was his first time at a Tiger Nights event and came because he had seen the fliers around campus.

"I just like playing poker," Carroll said.

Other students came for completely different reasons.

"(I came) to get free snacks," said Taylor Castles, a sophomore in apparel merchandising. "It's not really my scene; it's too many people."

Guzman said UPC began planning the even at the beginning of spring semester, and attended conferences to decide on the different venders and activities the event would have. He said the themes are decided on by the committee, based on what has worked well in the past. Admission for the event was free to students and $5 for faculty, staff and the general public.

UPC advertised the event through campus media outlets, Facebook, Myspace and television commercials. Guzman said UPC started commercial advertising last semester and it worked well so they continued it for this event.

Guzman said he started working with UPC because he didn't do much his freshman year and wanted to get involved.

"UPC is definitely a fun way to give back, if you want to," Guzman said.

Share and discuss “UPC hosts Tiger Nights Casino: High Rolling on The Plains” on social media.