Wayne Greenhaw lectures on journalism industry

The 2009 Neil and Henrietta Davis Lecture Series put on by the Auburn Journalism Department featured renowned author and journalist Wayne Greenhaw on Feb. 25.

Greenhaw is an Alabama writer who began his career at age 15 as a part-time sports reporter at his hometown paper, The Tuscaloosa News. He went on to be a prize-winning journalist. From 1972-1973 he reported for The Alabama Journal in Montgomery and in the 80s he was editor and publisher of ALABAMA Magazine. In the 1990s he was a columnist with The Alabama Journal and The Montgomery Advertiser.

Outside of the newsroom he has published 21 books and has had hundreds of articles published in regional, national and international publications that include The New York Times and Reader's Digest. He has also written for stage and television, been a writing teacher, worked alongside country music stars in Nashville and worked for book publishers in New York City.

"Greenhaw is one of Alabama's most important writers," said Judy Sheppard, journalism professor. "You can't mention an important Alabama writer he doesn't know, from Truman Capote to Harper Lee to Howell Raines and Winston Groome."

Greenhaw told the several journalism students attending his speech that every journalist needs to have audacity and the hunger to learn. He said of himself that the hunger to know about people and their lives is something that he can't help having, and he credits that to being a successful journalist. The other key to successful journalism, he told the students, is to simply love the work as a journalist.

"He (Greenhaw) has done so much in his career and it was interesting to hear about his experiences. He is so inspiring," said Laura Brown, a junior concentrating in journalism.

Bridgette Bonner, another journalism major who attended the lecture, said Greenhaw's stories about his experiences as a journalist made her want to get out there and join the field as soon as possible.

"Greenhaw was able to tell amazing stories of people he's met because he was a journalist and of having the privilege to be a part of history," Bonner said. "One day I want to be able to tell my kids and grandkids that I met and interviewed the president of the United States. His stories made this dream of mine seem more reachable."

Also in the audience were Auburn journalism teachers, friends and family of Greenhaw and members of the Davis family.

"I've been a lucky person all my life," said Greenhaw. "One of the grand things about being a journalist is your life is enriched by the people you meet, know and write about."

Share and discuss “Wayne Greenhaw lectures on journalism industry” on social media.