Women's Golf Team Wins Another SEC Championship

Auburn golfers Cydney Clanton, front, and Madison Overbey dump a cooler of ice water on coach Kim Evans after Auburn won the SEC Championship Sunday.
SEC Women's Golf Championships on Sunday, April 19, 2009 in Columbia, SC
Todd Van Emst
Auburn golfers Cydney Clanton, front, and Madison Overbey dump a cooler of ice water on coach Kim Evans after Auburn won the SEC Championship Sunday. SEC Women's Golf Championships on Sunday, April 19, 2009 in Columbia, SC Todd Van Emst

The 2008-2009 Women's Golf Team, lead by head coach Kim Evans and assistant coach Courtney Trimble, completed another successful season with a 10th place finish at the NCAA East Regional Championship.

The highlight of the team's season was bringing home another SEC Championship for Auburn. The championship earned junior Candace Schepperle the title of SEC Golfer of the Year and Evans SEC Coach of the Year.

The Tigers not only achieved their seventh all-time SEC championship, but also had three players selected to the All-SEC teams.

Schepperle and sophomore Cydney Clanton earned 1st team honors, while freshman Haley Wilson received spots on the 2nd team and All-Freshman Team.

The Tigers began their journey for the SEC Championship in the fall.

"We had a slow start during the fall part of our season, but there was so much promise," Evans said.

It was the second half of the season that the team stepped up its playing.

"The spring really came together with four wins," Evans said. "We added a new freshman, Haley Wilson, mid-year, and she really added depth, and freshman Patty Sanz really had a great spring. Those two made the difference in winning."

The team knew the importance of any sport was being part of a team, said Clanton.

"What meant the most wasn't winning all the tournaments, even though that was great, and it felt amazing to finally win when we knew we could," Clanton said. "We won leading a tournament, and we won from behind. Which is great, but the thing that meant the most was our team."

Evans praised Schepperle's performance throughout the season.

"Candace Schepperle had some big tournaments and has always been one of our main reasons for our success," Evans said.

Schepperle was recently named a first team All-American by Duramed National Golf Coaches Association. Schepperle was one of 11 named to the team, and the only golfer from the SEC honored. The team's success allowed them to grow together as women and as teammates.

"We are a very close team, we all got along great and we all love to have a good time," Clanton said "We are probably one of the closest teams Coach Evans has ever coached, but getting to know the girls and being able to relax and have a good time and win is what made the season great."

This was the seventh SEC championship for the Auburn women's golf team.

"I think the fact that we came from behind made this one special," Clanton said.

The tournament was a new experience for some of the women, but they managed to pull through the pressure and defeat the competition.

"There was just a feeling that we knew we were going to win," Clanton said.

This year's SEC Championship is one the players say they will never forget.

"That fortunate tournament will make a landmark in Auburn golf, because now we are stronger than anyone else," Sanz said. "Because sometimes to reach the top, one first needs to touch the bottom."

The women have high hopes for their next season.

"I'm excited for the season to start up, and for us to get out and play in some tournaments so we can see what we can achieve." Clanton said.

Only losing one player, the team is already preparing for another successful season.

"We are going to be stronger and better, work harder than anyone else, and be there with the best team, playing our best golf," Sanz said.

Share and discuss “Women's Golf Team Wins Another SEC Championship” on social media.