Ensign Lauren Nevels Recognized as Top NROTC Midshipman in the Nation.

Ensign Lauren Nevels, a recent Auburn graduate, received an award being recognized as the top NROTC Midshipman in the nation.

"There are 59 Naval ROTC units across the country, with roughly 4,000 students," said Capt. Dell Epperson, commanding officer and professor of naval science at Auburn University. "Approximately 1,000 graduate each year. For Ensign Nevels to be selected for this honor literally means she is 1 in 1,000."

Nevels received the Admiral James L. Holloway Jr. Award in a ceremony June 30. She was a nursing major at Auburn as well as a member of the NROTC.

"The award is based on academic excellence throughout the midshipman's time in college," Epperson said. "Once that data is compiled for all graduates, discriminators such as performance within the unit and leadership displayed both within the unit and on campus, help to break out the best of the best."

Epperson said one of her strongest character qualities that she had proven to receive this honor was her success in the classroom. He said she had a "follow-me" style of leadership, compassion and a positive attitude that all combined to make her an exceptional officer and nurse.

"My drive in my passion comes from God, He has really blessed me to do well," Nevels said.

Many mentors of Nevels were not surprised at all that she received this honor because of her incredible dedication and passion.

"Before I had the chance to sit down and talk with her (Nevels), our executive officer and other instructors told me I was really going to be impressed with her maturity, her enthusiasm and her leadership," Epperson said. "They were right. From the very beginning, I sensed confidence and a sense of purpose that is rare in someone who had not yet graduated and been in the fleet. Plus, she has a great sense of humor. Some people you just automatically know you would like to work alongside, in any capacity. Lauren is that person."

Nevels said her dad is in the Navy, her brother is a Marine and some of her other family members are in the military as well. This, she says, is what has really driven her to succeed as well as God blessing her with her ability to do well.

"What struck me were comments that her clinical instructors would make and even some of the patients on the unit would often comment about her interactions with patients," said Constance Hendricks, a nursing professor.

Auburn faculty believes her achievement will encourage prospective students to work hard toward similar awards.

"Success breeds success, and I think this will give others at the unit a goal they can all strive for as they continue toward graduation and commissioning," Epperson said.

Nevels has since graduation deployed for Guam to work in a Naval hospital for two years.

Share and discuss “Ensign Lauren Nevels Recognized as Top NROTC Midshipman in the Nation.” on social media.