Healthy Hair Just Can't Be Beat

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Hair care has come a long way from those three simple instructions. These days a woman's idea of hair care involves much more than just washing and drying. With all the teasing and brushing combined with everyday use of flat irons and hot rollers, it is no wonder the fight for healthy hair is a never ending battle.

"The first step in taking care of your hair is to understand that it is already dead," said Ami Ard, owner of Ardistry hair studio. "You can't breathe life into it."

It seems that the very basics of maintaining healthy hair start with shampooing. Terri McDonald, an owner and master colorist at 2 Chic, and Ard both agree that the average person does not need to shampoo everyday. Ard adds that your hair needs the natural oils as protectors. She also said deep conditioners should be used once a week on dry hair and then rinsed out with cold water to achieve the best results.

Ard said everything people do to their hair seems damaging. "People just need to cut down on everything. It's an endless cycle," she said.

Ard recommends to pick one when it comes to blow drying or flat ironing and always remember to use a low heat setting. "Some women are straightening their hair at 370 degrees. That's what you bake cupcakes at," she said.

Another step toward healthy hair is maintaining regular trims.

"About every five weeks for those keeping up a certain style and for those trying to grow their hair out, about every seven weeks is good," McDonald said.

As for which shampoos are the best and which ones to stay away from, Ard said that people have a misconception of Pantene Pro-V. "Its only negative side is that it is a high protein product." She said healthy hair is based on a balance between protein and moisture.

Another common misconception comes from products that contain alcohol.

"Alcohol has a bad reputation, but it is really moisture building," McDonald said. The alcohol simply makes the product dry faster.

Many women have been known to try every home remedy in the book to achieve perfect hair, but what are the truths behind these homemade repair methods?

McDonald said baking soda is the only home remedy she knows to work. "It is great for getting out product build-up after prom or something like that." As for remedies such as using mayonnaise to add moisture and shine, McDonald said "You won't get any moisture, the molecules are too big to be absorbed, and as for shine, it might last until your next wash."

One of the best ways to maintain healthy hair is to find a look and stick to it.

"Realize what looks good with you, don't have something you're not meant to have," Ard said. "I used to constantly change my hair to change my look, but once I stuck with my natural color, it was the best decision I ever made," said Allison Bleick, a senior in nutrition.

"Hair is not meant to be stripped over and over of its natural color. You can't just decide to be a bleach blonde, some hair just doesn't have the strength," Ard said.

Ard agrees that overall, healthy hair is the best looking hair.

Share and discuss “Healthy Hair Just Can't Be Beat” on social media.