Women's Soccer Has Big Goals to Net This Season

The Auburn women's soccer team is gearing up for the upcoming season. They said they have a strong, experienced group of seniors, specific goals and highly anticipated recruits.

"I'm excited to think that this could possibly be our best season ever," said Jenni Prescott, a senior in early elementary education. "Our team has been preparing all spring and summer, and I really think it is going to pay off."

There will be 10 new additions to the team, and the returning players are excited to see what the freshmen will bring.

"We have a good group of girls coming in, and I can't wait to see what skills and personalities they bring to our team," said Monica Afanador, a red-shirt junior in public relations.

One of the new recruits is a freshman goalkeeper who will be taking the place of Allison Whitworth, who made her first career start for the FC Gold Pride in May.

"This season we will have a freshman goalie where as last season we had an experienced fifth year in goal," Afanador said. "It will be an adjustment for our team."

Prescott said she thinks the experience of the returning players will be advantageous in the upcoming season.

"I would say the age of our team is a big difference within last season and this season," Prescott said. "Although we have 10 freshmen coming in, more then half of our team is made up of upper classmen. I think our age will be a huge benefit on the field. We have a lot of experience and that will help us out in big games."

Head coach Karen Hoppa said that having last year's experience to draw from will be beneficial to the team.

"I am most excited about this senior class," Hoppa said. "They are a talented, special group and I'm excited for them to lead our team."

Prescott, one of the seniors ready to lead the team this season, said her goals are to play every game to the best of her ability.

"I don't want to walk away from a game knowing I could have done more," Prescott said.

Afanador, also an upperclassman that will be a leader on the team, said she is looking to come in physically fit and make an impact in the center midfield.

"As a red-shirt junior, I feel I can be a leader on the team," Afanador said. "I plan to use what I've learned so far to help our team grow on and off the field."

Afanador said she is excited about playing the University of North Carolina because they won the 2008 National Championship.

"We have never played a No. 1 team, so I'm excited to see how we compete against them," she said.

For this season the team has set high, but reachable goals, Prescott said.

"As usual, we want to win the Iron Bowl again," Prescott said. "We want to not only make it to the SEC tournament, but we plan on taking home the trophy."

Prescott explained that she is looking forward to getting into SEC play because she knows the team is going to do well, and the SEC is always hard competition.

"This past year we made it to the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament, this year we have set our goal to make it to the Sweet 16," Prescott said.

Hoppa said she shares the same goals as the team.

"We want to get to compete for an SEC championship and get to the Sweet 16," Hoppa said.

Afanador said the team keeps all of these goals in mind, but the main goal is to face the season one game at a time.

"In order to accomplish all these we must come in ready to work, but I believe this is the year Auburn history is going to be made," Prescott said.

Share and discuss “Women's Soccer Has Big Goals to Net This Season” on social media.