Auburn graduates 1,197 in summer ceremony

A line of Auburn University students, 1,197 in all, lined up to receive their diplomas for the summer commencement ceremony Aug. 10 at Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum.

"I liked the summer ceremony better because it was more personnel and we were recognized more quickly. My family enjoyed it more," said Rebekah Thomas, a graduate in history.

The University awarded 821 bachelor's degrees, 282 master's degrees, 77 doctorate degrees, 13 specialist degrees and four professional degrees.

"I liked that an Auburn alumnae spoke at the end, instead of a speaker not tied to the University. It was inspiring and the perfect way to wrap up the ceremony," said Carrie Ingram, a graduate in human development and family studies.

Auburn has awarded 250,000 degrees since its founding in 1856.

"My favorite was walking across the stage in front of my family and friends. It was the feeling of knowing that all that work paid off," said Mallory Mist, a graduate in human development and studies. Mist is going to be employed with Grace Campus Ministries in Hong Kong this fall.

The College of Liberal Arts awarded the most degrees with 285 graduates and the College of Business had 206. The Samuel Ginn College of Engineering had 69 graduates and the College of Sciences and Mathematics awarded 63 degrees.

The College of Architecture awarded 51 degrees and the College of Education had 49. There were 30 Agriculture graduates and the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences awarded seven.

"My favorite part was when the ceremony ended with the Auburn fight song. It was a special moment for those of us leaving the Auburn family," Thomas said.

The James I. Harrison School of Pharmacy presented two pharmacy degrees and the College of Veterinary Medicine will award two doctor of veterinary medicine degrees.

"The students added their own touch my throwing around beach balls. It added to the excitement of the day and it was a memorable moment for me," Ingram said.

Share and discuss “Auburn graduates 1,197 in summer ceremony” on social media.