Coleman Makes 4 Award Watch Lists

Antonio Coleman
Auburn football vs Southern Miss on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2008 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst
Antonio Coleman Auburn football vs Southern Miss on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2008 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst

Auburn's senior defensive end Antonio Coleman was put on his fourth "watch list" Tuesday.

He was one of 52 players named to the 2009 Bronko Nagurski Award pre-season Watch List by the Football Writers Association of America and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

The Nagurski Award is given every year to the nation's outstanding defensive player and has been given since 1993 in memory of legendary Bronko Nagurski, an All-American lineman at Minnesota from 1927-1929 and a professional with the Chicago Bears in the 1930s.

Once a player is on the list he may still be removed if he performs poorly either on or off the field.

After the first four games of the season, the FWAA will revise the list and look for new submitted names from any schools.

After one final revision of the list, the award will be given Dec. 7 at the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Banquet at the Westin Hotel in Charlotte, N.C.

Coleman's other watch lists include the Lombardi award, for best lineman or linebacker; the Hendricks Award, for best defensive end; and the Bednarick Award, which is again for the nation's best defender.

The only Tiger to win the Lombardi trophy is College Football Hall of Fame member Tracy Rocker, in 1988.

Although the Alabama native realizes these awards are a high honor to receive, he said it is the last thing on his mind.

"I didn't even know I was nominated for half of them." Coleman said, "I'm just worried about becoming a better leader and staying healthy,"

The Tigers caught a big break with Coleman's return as he chose to forego the draft and come back for his senior year.

Coleman was voted first team All-SEC by the league's media and coaches in 2008 after registering 46 tackles, including team highs with six quarterback sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss.

He also had a team-high 13 quarterback hurries, as well as a forced fumble and a pass break-up.

He was named SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week following Auburn's 14-12 victory over University of Tennessee Sept. 27.

When asked about the upcoming season, he said the team's main focus was to get better every day and do their best to be ready for the Sept. 5 kick-off against Louisiana Tech.

"You learn a lot from one loss, but you learn even more from seven." Coleman said. "We didn't go to a bowl game and coaches have been hammering that into our heads every day"

Coleman would be the first Auburn player to ever win the Nugarski, Hendrick or Bednarick awards.

Coleman will enter his senior season with 30 career tackles for loss and 14.5 career sacks, needing one more sack to crack Auburn's all-time top 10 list.

Share and discuss “Coleman Makes 4 Award Watch Lists” on social media.