Women's Soccer Ties Home Opener Against Dayton

The Auburn women's soccer team played its home opener Friday night to a 1-1 tie.

This marks the first time that Auburn has tied a home opener under Head Coach Karen Hoppa. "We are a little frustrated. We didn't play our best the whole game and we should have done more,"\0x9D Hoppa said.

Senior forward Caitlin King and sophomore midfielder Katy Frierson led the Tigers with six shots each. King connected on one of her shots for the only Tiger goal.

King's goal came with 18:36 left in the first half. She took a through ball past her defender and put the ball past the goalie one-on-one.

King said it felt nice to get the first goal of the season out of the way.

"There's always a lot of pressure to get that first goal and it felt really good,"\0x9D King said.

Freshman keeper Amy Howard was back in goal for her second straight game, facing 22 shots (12 on goal) and only giving up one goal.

Dayton's goal came with 32:19 left in regulation. There would be no more scoring.

The team has suffered several injuries early in the season. Rebecca Howell went down in practice and Chelsea Yauch had to leave Friday's game due to an ankle injury.

The team also won Sunday night against South Alabama 3-0. Liz Hamersly, Katy Frierson and substitute Mary Coffed all had goals for the night.

Their next game will be Friday night against Kennesaw State at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Women's Soccer Ties Home Opener Against Dayton” on social media.