Band Marches With Record Membership

Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor
Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor

The crowd is silenced as the drum major steps onto field, walking with precision and leading the band into Jordan-Hare Stadium. This is the Auburn University Marching Band.

Though it is built on tradition, the band has increased in size. The AUMB boasts its largest membership in history this fall with 380 members, beating their previous record of 372 in 2006.

"The biggest reason we have grown is because of the retention of our veteran members from year to year," said Marching Band Director Corey Spurlin. "I think they are having a good experience and view the band as special on this campus, leading more of them to return each year. Our students are our best recruiters and, thanks to them, we have had a very large freshman participation the past couple of years."

An audition process carefully selects each member of the AUMB. A playing audition and a marching evaluation at a preseason camp are required. Auditions are open to any student who registers.

"Not many people realize it, but less than 15 percent of the band receives scholarship money, so the time they put in for Auburn to have a great band is impressive," Spurlin said. "I am proud of the students I teach not only for their high performance standards, but also for their dedication to Auburn University. It is important to me that their college experience is enhanced by their participation in the band."

Even with its large numbers, Spurlin said fans should expect to see six different halftime shows this football season, along with the traditional pre-game show and spirit march.

"I'm excited about the potential this band has," said Nick Vita, a senior in international business. "This is just a great band, and I think fans really get to see it on gameday with the amount of enthusiasm we have inside and outside the stadium as well as the shows we put on. I look forward to the new era of Auburn football and the AUMB."

Because of the band's size, new accommodations will be made to house the band as they outgrow Goodwin Hall where they have practiced since 1974. A plan is being made for a new band hall with an adjoining practice field and is estimated to cost $15 million.

"Every year I've been in band, it has been larger than the year before," said Spencer Lynn, a junior in wireless-software engineering. "This is contributed to the quality of players joining each year. Not only does the band get bigger each year, but it gets better. This entices people to join the AUMB."

The AUMB has formed the R.A.T. program or rookie Auburn Tiger to help new members adjust.

"The program introduces new members not only to the marching band, but to Auburn," Lynn said. "During the band's summer camp, we hold R.A.T. activities that help new members get to know the veterans. We host a bowling night, a scavenger hunt, and an ice cream night."

The AUMB, however, would not function without dedicated members.

"I am extremely excited about the work ethic of this year's band," Spurlin said. "Although we are bigger, the students are even more disciplined. For this reason, I think there is great potential for what we can accomplish. We greatly appreciate the support we get from the entire Auburn family. War Eagle!"

Share and discuss “Band Marches With Record Membership” on social media.