SEC Freshman of the Week: Amy Howard

The goalkeeper for the Auburn Women's Soccer team gave the team a confidence boost the first week of the season by nabbing the honor of SEC Freshman of the Week.

Amy Howard received the honor after posting a shutout in the first game of her collegiate career.

The two saves against Samford got recognition from more than just the fans.

"It was kind of a surprise, I played one game and I got the honor," Howard said. "I know there's so many good freshmen on our team alone and in the conference. It's incredible."

Howard is the only goalkeeper at Auburn since Megan Rivera, in 2001, to post a shutout in her first college match.

"I'm very happy for her," said senior defender Lizzie Hamersly. "It should be a huge confidence boost, and that's what we need from her."

The team recruited Howard to replace Allison Whitworth, goalkeeper for the Tigers from 2005 to 2008.

"Everybody knows there was a big hole left in goal when Allison Whitworth graduated and got drafted into the pro league," said Head Coach Karen Hoppa. "Amy's done a fantastic job of stepping in and filling those shoes and really playing like a veteran right from the first game."

The loss of Whitworth left the team reeling, but after three games, their minds are at ease knowing Howard's defending the goal.

"We were all a little nervous because we had Whit last year," Hamersly said, "but Amy has stepped in and you can't even tell she's a freshman."

Over the last 10 years, Howard played goalkeeper for the Mandeville Soccer Club Lakers, her high school team, and the Louisiana State Olympic Development Program team.

"When I was little, I didn't want to run, so I just stayed in the back," Howard said.

Her dislike of running as a kid started her as goalie and she stayed there.

Howard's previous years of play prepared her for the transition to college soccer.

"It was really different," Howard said. "The first week was really tough training and learning how everything worked and getting used to the speed of play, but I think I've transitioned decently."

Hamersly and Hoppa both agreed.

"She's done a great job from the first day," Hoppa said. "Any time you have a freshman in goal, you're going to have some inexperience there. Every single day Amy has worked hard. Every play she tries to get better and better."

The honor Howard earned not only recognizes her, but also the entire women's soccer program.

"It gives us exposure," Hamersly said. "It's a way to say we're here and we're ready to play. Just because we have a freshman as a goalkeeper doesn't mean they can beat us."

With every dive, jump and save, Howard proves herself to the fans, the coaches and her team.

"I hope to get better every year and every practice," Howard said.

Share and discuss “SEC Freshman of the Week: Amy Howard” on social media.