Simply, Go Green

Recently, many people are fascinated by "going green." There are some simple ways you can give back to the environment without giving an arm and a leg.

"We need to all cut back a little and use resources more efficiently," said Emma Mulvaney, communications outreach coordinator of sustainability. "It is not about making huge sacrifices, but about being more efficient."

Mulvaney said there are many simple ways to give back to your environment.

You can leave your car at home and either ride a bike, walk, carpool or ride the transit around town to preserve gas.

She also said using a reusable water bottle will cut down on the disposal of old water bottles as well as being able to filter your own water. Students in dorms or apartments may prefer buying a Brita filter to enhance the taste of their fresh water.

Bring your own bag shopping, whether it is at a grocery store or a retail store. Many businesses offer recycled bags for shoppers.

"Eat more local foods at the meat market here in Auburn," Mulvaney said.

She said to cut back on red meat and be sure to consume plenty of fresh vegetables.

As far as electricity goes, she said it is important to remember to turn all of your lights off when you leave the room as well as shutting down your computer and other electronics at night. Also, adjusting your air temperature when leaving your apartment to reduce electricity use.

Auburn offers many recycling organizations and courses for students to participate in and to learn more about the importance of sustainability.

"The Office of Sustainability is working to help students and faculty to reduce their environmental impact," Mulvaney said. "With the growing population worldwide there is more pressure on resources."

For more information or to get involved contact the Auburn Office of Sustainability at 334-844-7777, or visit www.auburn.edu/recycling.

Share and discuss “Simply, Go Green” on social media.