Workshop Teaches Healthy Alternatives to Hot Pockets

The University Program Council hosted a vegetable cooking workshop in 238 Spidle Hall on Thursday, Aug. 27 that was taught by a professional chef from the Auburn area.

The objective of the workshop was to provide the knowledge of cooking healthy meals with vegetables in the kitchen at home instead of relying on restaurants or fast-food joints.

The class gave students the chance to interact with food and other students.

Each student was taught to prepare all the items being provided. When the meal was complete it was eaten as dinner for the workshop's participants.

"I look at this as an opportunity to share my passion for cooking with college students who are interested in saving a little money by learning to prepare meals in their apartments or homes instead of paying high prices of dining out in this economy," said Carol Duncan, chef and owner of Savory Solutions, a personal chef service.

The idea stemmed from a previous workshop instructed by Duncan held in February that taught students how to prepare aphrodisiac foods that increase sexual desire.

At the most recent workshop, however, penne pasta with marinara sauce was the main dish with a side of roasted vegetables and a fontina spinach salad with avocado, d'anjou pears and a lime-cilantro dressing. Spring rolls with hoisin-peanut dipping sauce for appetizers and Southern peach cobbler were prepared for dessert.

Student were asked to bring aprons, wear closed-toed shoes and pull back any long hair.

The students then were put into a rotation of groups that interchanged stations throughout the workshop.

At each station students learned how to prepare a different item of the meal being taught.

The penne pasta was mixed and baked in an oven. The vegetables were washed, chopped, smothered in olive oil and roasted in an oven. The spinach salad was tossed with avocados and pears followed by a drenching of lime-cilantro dressing. The spring rolls were pre-cut.

"I am taking a cooking workshop for the second time because I love to impress women with my skills in the kitchen," said John D'Angelo, a senior in criminology.

This workshop was available for free to the first 25 Auburn University students with a valid student identification.

The sign-up sheet was posted in the Auburn University Student Center in Room 3149 inside Suite 3130.

The workshop was one of many offered by the UPC throughout the school year that gives students the opportunity to learn new skills.

"This type of workshop has been a success in the past and is a cool way of learning techniques for cooking meals with vegetables," said Stephanie Cox, a junior in marine biology.

Duncan is the owner of Savory Solutions located in Auburn and is an Auburn native. She offers a home catering-themed culinary class and in-home multiple meal preparation.

Her personal chef services range anywhere from $275 to more than $400.

She offers private classes that start at $100 per day plus cost of groceries. Classes are also provided at Williams-Sonoma at East Chase in Montgomery.

Duncan plans on teaching many more workshops including a holiday cooking workshop on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

For more information on upcoming workshops call 334-844-4788. Duncan can be reached at www.savorysolution.net or 334-444-2636.

Share and discuss “Workshop Teaches Healthy Alternatives to Hot Pockets” on social media.