Auburn Ultimate Looks to Host Tournament in Auburn

The Auburn Ultimate Frisbee Club's fall season has flown into gear.

Team captain, Gamble Ruff, a senior in electrical engineering, said the team hopes to travel to two fall tournaments.

Ultimate frisbee is a spring sport, but the Auburn Ultimate team conditions through the off season to prepare for the competition.

Ruff played in a pick-up Ultimate league in high school and said that experience prepared him to play at Auburn and to lead a team.

"Gambell is our captain and he knows everything there is to know (about Ultimate)," said team member Trace Pridgen, a sophomore in aerospace engineering. "He's one of the few guys that played in high school."

Although conference regulations limit teams to 25 players, Ruff and Pridgen said they welcome guys of all backgrounds to come out and play pick-up Ultimate with them.

"We have a bunch of different talents and it's awesome," Pridgen said. "You don't have to have prior experience to play."

Ruff said that the team will show newcomers how to play and techniques.

"You dont have to be good at throwing flicks, throwing backhands or running routes to be able to successful," Pridgen said.

In addition to the two fall tournaments the team hopes to attend, they usually have five or six tournaments in the spring.

They said that possible tournament locations are Alabama, Florida State University, Emory, Georgia Southern University, Vanderbilt, Talladega Speedway and Louisiana State University.

For championship play, Auburn is part of the Bama Section. This section includes Auburn, Alabama, University of Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, LSU, Tulane and Samford University.

Pridgen said that in keeping with Auburn rivalry tradition, Alabama is the team's biggest rival.

Ruff added that LSU and Ole Miss are always highly competitive teams as well.

Auburn Ultimate is trying to organize a tournament in Auburn where it can take on its rivals from a home advantage, but field space and availability proves to be an issue.

Ruff said being a member of the Auburn Ultimate team takes a lot of time and dedication, but is worth it because of the fun they have together.

"You become best friends with who you're playing with," Ruff said.

Auburn Ultimate practices every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. and has conditioning practices throughout the week.

Share and discuss “Auburn Ultimate Looks to Host Tournament in Auburn” on social media.