Volleyball Falls to LSU, Prepares for Ole Miss

Rod Guajardo / PHOTO EDITOR
Rod Guajardo / PHOTO EDITOR

The Auburn Volleyball (9-5, 1-2 SEC) team played at home for the first time in three weeks as they faced the Louisiana State University Tigers (8-4, 2-1 SEC), losing the match 3-0 (25-22, 25-20, 26-24).

Auburn led in every set, but were unable to hold a strong LSU attack which scored four points in the last two sets to eventually win the game.

"Our crowd was phenomenal and they were very encouraging throughout the match," said head coach Wade Benson. "The team was in it every set to win, and I think we just gave out at the end. It is a learning situation and we'll get through and get better next weekend."

Freshman outside hitter Sarah Bullock had 16 kills, 18 points, the team's only block and a .484 attack percentage. Bullock was followed by junior outside hitter Morgan Johns who had 11 kills and a .562 attack percentage.

LSU started the first set strong and led 3-6 until a service ace from Bullock turned things around.

Auburn scored four straight points to take its first lead of the game, 7-6.

LSU fought back from behind to regain the lead and hold on to win the first set 25-22.

During the second set neither team was able to pull away by more than three points. The set had 12 tying scores and three lead changes.

Auburn started set two with a 2-0 lead, but was unable to resist a strong LSU offense that scored four in a row to close out the second set 25-20.

The LSU offense was led by senior middle blocker Brittnee Cooper and senior outside hitter Marina Skender who each scored 17 points.

Cooper had 15 kills and an attack percentage of .700, while Skender had 13 kills with a .367 attack percentage.

Set three had a game high four lead changes in which Auburn trailed LSU until junior defensive specialist Liz Crouch service ace to tie the game at 11.

Auburn held its lead late into the set, 24-22, until LSU went on a 4-0 run to win the set 26-24 and the game 3-0.

"We're leading, but faltering at the end," Benson said. "It's really frustrating to play well, but not be able to close and so that is something we will work on in practice."

The University of Mississippi Rebels (6-8, 0-4 SEC) visit Auburn Friday at 6 p.m., looking for a much needed win.

The Rebels are coming off a six - game losing streak, four of which were conference opponents.

Ole Miss has a 0-3 record at away games that were not played at neutral sites and will be led by sophomore outside hitter Katie Norris who had 14 kills in a 3-0 loss against the University of Tennessee Volunteers.

In preparation for Ole Miss, Johns said the Tigers will work on closing games as well as intensity.

Bullock said the team will be put into a game situation when the team is five points down and would have to battle its way back up.

"We just have to work on intensity and pull through and take this weekend," Johns said.

Following the Tiger's game against Ole Miss Friday, Auburn will face the Arkansas Razorbacks (7-7, 1-2 SEC) Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in the Student Activities Center.

Share and discuss “Volleyball Falls to LSU, Prepares for Ole Miss” on social media.