Your View: Spanking Could Be Seen as a Biblical Mandate

Editor, The Auburn Plainsman

I thoroughly agree with the two articles in last week's Plainsman that the matter of spanking children is important.

It is so important that God gave us specific instructions in His Word as to how we are to train children.

It is essential to understand that discipline must be preceded by instruction concerning the child's sin and followed by an opportunity for repentance.

Proverbs 22:15 reads, "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; the rod of correction will drive it far from him."

Notice that this does not say to leave the child alone because physical discipline will only bring harm; in fact, it specifically says that this discipline will drive away his or her foolish sin.

Further insight is given in Proverbs 29:15. - "The rod and rebuke give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother."

An undisciplined child will follow after his or her own desires, not seeking godliness.

The final verse that should be brought to our attention is Proverbs 13:24 - "He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly."

Parents who love their children discipline them appropriately and promptly, knowing that it will direct them toward godliness.

Biblical spanking does not cause harm; rather, it is the absence of such discipline that does so.

Thomas Sherer

freshman, mechanical engineering

Share and discuss “Your View: Spanking Could Be Seen as a Biblical Mandate” on social media.