Auburn Media Digital Resource Lab Goes Modern

The Media Digital Resource Lab, or MDRL as students and faculty know it, is the one-stop shop for class projects, especially digital needs, such as editing video and making posters.

Students can either use the Mac computers or PCs, which features the entire Adobe Creative Suite, high-end video editing such as Final Cut and the iLife series.

There are also two large-format printers that print 36-inch-wide rolls.

Students can use the MDRL's resources as long as it's for class.

"Society as a whole is moving toward a digital world," said Gary Hawkins, information technology specialist, who has worked in the MDRL for the past five years. "The MDRL is basically a training ground for future designers, artists, researchers and scientists. Just about any and every concentration requires some type of digital notation. We will work together with the students to help them in any way we can."

Hawkins said as busy as it gets in the lab, the environment is still relaxed.

The lab can seat 35 people at a time with 200 to 300 students visiting every day and 30,000 to 35,000 students per year, which Hawkins said is remarkable because the only marketing they have is word of mouth.

The MDRL opened in fall 2004, although there had previously been a small form of the MDRL in its infancy two years prior.

"At first, it was just a large format scanner and printer and we grew from that," Hawkins said. "It was a concept to see if we could do it, and we saw other universities like UT Knoxville doing it."

The MDRL used to be on the first floor of the library in the old microfiche.

The old one was in Rm. 009 with three cubicles and 18 seats, but now, after two and a half years of remodeling and receiving funds from the University, it has evolved into what it is today.

Katherine Webb, junior in hotel and restaurant management, said she comes into the MDRL at least four days per week to work on class assignments.

"The DRL has really nice computers and all the applications I need in order to do creative work such as Photoshop," Webb said. "Once I create the things I need, I can print it off. Everything is in here I need to get assignments done. It's easily accessible, and I never really have to wait on the computers."

Webb said MDRL is creative, and especially helpful for student with creative majors.

Kelsey Chandler, senior in public relations, is using the MDRL to work on a senior project for her Public Relations in Style and Design class.

"I use it in photojournalism and I use Photoshop for printing off pictures," Chandler said. "The DRL can be very helpful to students, especially the people behind the desk."

Hawkins said the original concept for the MDRL came from other universities where it was a success.

"Sherri Downer was an interim dean for at last two years and it was her idea of having creative resources available to the student body," Hawkins said. "We'll teach you to do whatever you need to do in here. We check every job that people print in order to cut down on cost. All our paper that goes into waste is all recycled. We're trying to stay green as much you can in the printing business."

With 600 feet of paper used in two days, Hawkins said recycling is vital in the MDRL.

Most of the printing is free, although it costs 50 cents to print a single color copy.

Lab hours are 7:45 a.m. to 2 a.m. weekdays, except Friday, when it closes at 6 p.m. The MDRL is open Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., except on home games when the hours are 9 a.m.-1 p.m., and Sundays 1-p.m.- 2 a.m.

There are four full-time staff member assisting students from 7:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. Then student workers come in until 2 a.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn Media Digital Resource Lab Goes Modern” on social media.