Students Celebrate Under Their Masks

Auburn University's Gay-Straight Alliance ended its first pride week with a ball, a masquerade ball that is.

AGSA hosted a Diversity Gala titled, "Under the Mask" Friday at the Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.

In the spirit of Halloween, the theme for the gala was "Carnevil" and people were encouraged to come dressed as anything interesting, whether it be a costume, strange or even formal wear.

"Any excuse to dress up and go out will get me, but add in supporting a cause I care about, and I'm sure to be there," said Tanner Forks, junior in theater and psychology and a member of AGSA.

All proceeds raised went to the Point Foundation.

Point Foundation is the national LGBT scholarship fund.

"My favorite part of the gala was probably getting to see Blame Sydney play for the first time," Forks said. "They were a blast to dance to."

Timbre Golden, an Auburn employee at Caribou Coffee, said she attended the event in support of AGSA and its cause.

"The only people who knew about it were the AGSA and their close friends," Golden said.

About 50 people attended the gala, said Trevor McEuen, AGSA assistant director of social affairs.

"AGSA will attempt to organize and plan more events and publicity for next year's Gay Pride week," McEuen said.

The rest of the Gay Pride weeks' events went smoothly as well, McEuen said.

"Auburn was very receptive to everything," McEuen said. "We had a lot of people stop by and participate, and some people were very enthusiastic even though they weren't gay."

AGSA is an organization of students who happen to be straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

AGSA welcomes anyone interested in issues relating to sexuality and gender.

"AGSA is really a very interesting group," Forks said. "We come together to share stories of things that have happened, things we have seen, things we care about with some of the most amazing people I have met, and that is why I joined AGSA."

Forks said he was pleased with the turnout of people at the gala.

"Being an inaugural event, you can't really expect it to be quite as popular as you would like, but it went very well," Forks said. "We had some great music from Blame Sydney and tasty food from Niffer's, so that was definitely a plus. Everyone seemed to be having a fantastic time dancing in their costumes since it was the day before Halloween."

Although the gala did not have a huge turnout, plenty of students stopped by the table on the Concourse.

"There were quite a few people who came to the table we set up on the Concourse to help bring light to the events going on with AGSA," Forks said.

Share and discuss “Students Celebrate Under Their Masks” on social media.