Groundhog predicts longer winter, could he be right?

Are groundhogs meteorologists or is the meaning of their shadow just a myth?

Feb. 2, the groundhog known as Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, signifying to believers that there will be six more weeks of winter.

"I think it has just kind of become a tradition and people just do it for fun," said John Plaxco, sophomore in industrial engineering. "The logic is if he sees his shadow it's sunny outside so it a sign of warm weather is on the way. I've never really believed in it."

The rodent known as the groundhog or woodchuck has tried to help people predict weather patterns for years, but many people still find it hard to see any truth to the mystery.

"To the best of my knowledge it's a myth," said Steve Ditchkoff, wildlife and forestry professor at Auburn. "It's kind of like questions on Big Foot."

There seems to be no reason to believe that a groundhog or any other animal can predict the weather much more than any regular human. "I don't really know why the tradition of looking at the groundhog's shadow dictates the number of days of winter we are going to have left in early

February," said Wayne Greene, head of the Department of Animal Sciences at Auburn. "I think it's good for discussion, but I don't think there is any scientific proof an animal will be able to predict the weather."

A shadow can show whether it is sunny outside or what direction the sun is above something, but is there reason to believe a shadow can tell how much longer winter is going to last?

"I don't know why a shadow would make a difference in the weather," said Mike Cusazk, freshman in engineering. "Animals are not aware of weather patterns. Shadows are based on the position of the sun. If it's cloudy out then he is not going to have a shadow, and if it's sunny out then he'll have a shadow."

No one seems to believe in the power of the groundhog.

Most students aren't aware the holiday has happened.

"I don't think there is any truth to that (animals can predict weather)," Greene said. "I think those would all just be myths. I'm not sure any animal is going to be able to predict what weather conditions are going to be unless there are just strong winds coming in, but I'm not sure there would be a way to predict weather."

Share and discuss “Groundhog predicts longer winter, could he be right?” on social media.