Students 'Step' into Shape

As spring break approaches, women continued to fill the Step and Pump class in the Student Act as they stepped, side-kicked and shoulder-pressed Monday evening.

The 47 participants exercised intensely for an hour to upbeat music from Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Akon.

"It's time to think about something in your life that needs a kick," said Emily Quinn, instructor and freshman in fine art, as she lifted her leg high in the air.

Quinn said she has seen an increase in the number of people working out in the Student Act since last year and that the high numbers have remained steady so far.

"There is usually a large crowd at the beginning of the year that fades around February," Quinn said. "New Year's resolutions don't seem to be falling apart this year, which is great."

Quinn said students enjoy the class because it is tag-team workout which engages the whole body in an hour.

The class is separated into two groups, one group beginning with the step section, and the other in pump.

After half an hour, the two groups switch to complete their workout. Participants also have the option to stay in either section for the whole hour.

"I am exhausted after that workout," said Meredith Looney, senior in accounting, who conquered both step and pump.

Looney said she has one particular goal in mind: to look her best for spring break. Along with looking good, Looney said, exercising gives her added confidence. "I come to the classes because it is easier to be motivated to finish the workouts, while still pushing myself to the limit," Looney said.

The group used their steps for modified lunges, squats and hamstring curls.

"You can run or walk during this exercise, or do extra reps in between to make it more difficult," Quinn said. The instructor provides options to ensure everyone can exercise at their own level of fitness. "This is 30 minutes of cardio to burn fat, and then while your heart rate is up, you use weights to tone muscle while still burning calories," Quinn said.

The core muscle groups are engaged during the toning period, which involves using weights to work the biceps, triceps and legs. Push-ups are incorporated to build muscle strength. Quinn said the Student Act now offers a great variety of exercise classes that have not been offered before.

"I love this class in particular because it is such a nice change from running, and more running," said Rebecca Early, senior in political science. Early said she has been attending the classes several times a week to stay fit and feel healthy. She said she would recommend the class to anyone who wants to have fun while working out. Step and Pump class is held every

Monday and Wednesday evening at 5 p.m. in the Student Act.

The class is free for students and faculty with an Auburn University ID.

Share and discuss “Students 'Step' into Shape” on social media.