Proper care for clothes prolongs quality

Clothing is crucial, which is good news for dry cleaners, but not for student wallets. "Dry cleaning uses chemicals and there is really no water involved at all," said Nathan Broach, assistant manager of Downtown Cleaners. "Basically we wash the clothes in these certain chemicals that won't cause shrinking of a pair of jeans or something like that and it can prevent fading." Getting a pair of jeans dry cleaned can cost close to $5 and a T-shirt is around $2 at most dry cleaners.

"Once you start washing a shirt it's going to start getting that washed-out look," said Steve Johnson, a desk clerk at Village Cleaners. "But if you dry clean, it's not water. It tends to keep them brighter and keep them from fading." But what would be cheaper: cleaning clothes the correct way in professional shops or buying new clothes? "You want to weigh the benefits of fixing something that's old," said Steve Bice, an employee Mr. Hem. "Do you want to pay someone premium prices to repair something that may not have that much life in it, or do just want to take that money and buy something new?"

Many people are finding new ways to recycle old clothes. "More and more we are becoming a disposable society," Bice said. There are ways to take care of your clothes without taking them to a store. Fading and shrinking can be avoided if clothes are washed and taken proper care. "By law, every article of clothing has to have the laundry instructions attached to it," Johnson said. "The manufacturers are "By law, every article of clothing has to have the laundry instructions attached to it," Johnson said. "The manufacturers are supposed to test their fabrics to see how they react."

Johnson also said it's important to read these instructions because washing with hot and cold water can make a difference in the longevity of beloved clothes. "Usually if somebody shrinks something it's because they dried it at a high temperature," Johnson said. Even if the instructions are followed, there is no guarantee that your clothes will last forever. It is good to pay attention to the kind of fabric the clothing is made of when purchasing items. "If you want clothes to last longer you need to pay attention to the types of materials you are buying," Broach said. "Don't buy synthetic fibers. We are getting a lot of cheap labor coming in so most of the clothes we are getting right now are going to fall apart."

Broach said he has been around the cleaners his entire life as it as a family operated business. "If you want clothes that last long buy some hemp fiber clothes or something," Broach said. "Those last forever. Hemp is the strongest natural plant fiber known to man. It may cost a little bit more when you buy it, but you'll never have to buy another pair again, unless you grow or something." Broach also suggests keeping clothes away from high humidity areas. Clothes can get mildew or fungus on them if they are left in these types of area for too long. "Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation where you are storing them," Broach said.

Share and discuss “Proper care for clothes prolongs quality” on social media.