Tigers off to powerful start in double header

The Auburn Tigers Baseball team (5-2) defeated Davidson (63) 7-6 Wednesday as part of a doubleheader after a rainout Tuesday.

Auburn sophomore Dexter Price picked up his first win of the season, pitching 5 and two-thirds innings, giving up four earned runs, walking one and striking out three.

Davidson's scoring started in the top of the second when Andre Barna led off the inning with a single to left. He was driven in by a single from freshman right fielder Coleman Barron.

The Tigers answered in the bottom half of the inning with a run of their own.

After a single from junior Tony Caldwell, sophomore catcher Caleb Bowen drove him in with a single to even the score.

Auburn broke it open in the fourth with a two run single from junior Justin Bryant. Junior Justin Hargett drove one in and National Player of the Week, junior Brian Fletcher, added to his team high RBIs with number 18 and 19 to give Auburn a 7-1 lead after four innings.

That put an end to Davidson's starting pitcher Chris Lamb who finished the game with four innings pitched giving up six earned runs, nine hits and one walk in his first start of the year. Junior Mik Frongello came on for Lamb and held Auburn scoreless for 4 innings.

He gave up only three hits and struck out two.

Davidson attempted a comeback, putting up four runs in the sixth and forcing Price out of the game.

Junior pitcher Sean Ray came on in relief of Price in the sixth to help get Auburn out of a jam. He finished the game with 2 innings of work, striking out two, walking two and he did not allow a run.

The two teams combined for 20 hits, Auburn having 12 of them.

In only his second start behind the plate this season, Bowen led the Tigers going 3-for-3 with a run scored and one RBI.

Hargett was 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI, while Caldwell also finished the game with two hits, a walk and two runs scored.

Austin Hubbard picked up his first save of the season. He pitched one and a third innings, giving up one run in the ninth to make things interesting.

Davidson was led by freshman Coleman Barron who finished the game 2-for-4 with a run and four RBIs.

Lamb picked up the loss in his first outing.

The Tigers were coming of a two wins against Boston College and Florida Atlantic University in the first Auburn Classic where they inducted Frank Thomas, Bo Jackson, Tim Hudson and Gregg Olson into the Wall of Fame. "Anytime you have an opportunity to honor someone for what they have done for this university and this program, it was obviously a big day," said Auburn head coach John Pawlowski. "To have those four guys come back and be a part of this day, it's hard to describe what it meant to our program and to our fans." Auburn will start a three game series with Miami (Ohio) Friday at 6:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Tigers off to powerful start in double header” on social media.