Baseball Blows Out Georgia State

The Auburn Tigers (19-10, 5-4 SEC) smashed 24 hits against the Georgia State Panthers (14-15, 2-4 CAA) Tuesday night, going on to win 22-5.

Trent Mummey made his return to the diamond after sitting out seven weeks with an injury. He went 2-for-2 with four RBIs, including a three-run home run.

"It was probably one of the happiest moments of my life," Mummey said. "Right before the game, the coaches told me they were probably going to get me in to pinch hit or possibly in the DH role. Baseball is just a humbling sport."

The Tigers offense, which leads the SEC with a team batting average of .339, continually pounded the seven pitchers Georgia State put on the mound.

"I think every spot in our lineup you got a chance of getting an RBI because all the guys are always on base," said Justin Hargett, junior second baseman. "We have such a dominate offense I think I'll always have a chance to get RBIs."

Hargett finished the game going 4-for-5 with five RBIs.

Every Georgia State pitcher gave up at least one run. Auburn had 13 batters get a hit, and eight had multiple hits.

"Tonight I feel like we played a good baseball game," said Scott Foxhall, assistant coach. "It was the second game in a row we didn't have any errors. We also had some quality at bats."

Foxhall was sitting in for head coach John Pawlowski who is serving a one game suspension after starting pitcher Grant Dayton was tossed from Sunday's game against Alabama for hitting a batter.

Auburn took advantage of an early error by Georgia State and scored a run in the first inning with a two-out RBI from third baseman Dan Gamache.

State quickly answered in the top of the second with a run of its own.

After a leadoff walk, Bradley Logan scored on a single by Carl Moniz to tie the game at one.

The Tigers struck back with three in the bottom of third. Justin Fradejas started off the inning with a double and then Brian Fletcher brought him in with his 10th home run of the season.

Two batters later Tony Caldwell added a solo homer to make the score 4-1.

Hunter Morris drove in his 34th run of the season with a two out RBI single in the bottom of the fourth.

Auburn pitcher Dexter Price failed to make it out of the fifth.

After recording two quick outs, he gave up two singles and walked two, which led to two runs in the inning for State, getting within one of the Tigers.

Price pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing three earned runs on seven hits while walking four and striking out one.

The Tigers put the game out of reach in the bottom of the sixth with a three run inning.

Mummey drove in a run with a pinch hit sacrifice fly. Hargett drove in his second and third runs of the game with a two out single, making the Auburn lead 11-5.

"It definitely boosts the confidence a little bit," Hargett said. "I just got to keep it going. This was a good game, but I have to put it behind me now and just keep going and try to keep putting quality at bats up."

Every Tiger batted in the seventh, adding five more runs. The scoring was capped with a three-run home run by Justin Bryant, who has homered in his last three games.

With such a huge lead, Auburn was able to get some players some at bats late in the game. Mummey took full advantage and crushed a three run homer in the eighth.

"I think it was pretty exciting (seeing Trent play)," Foxhall said. "It was a big step for our team. We are a better team with Trent Mummey. He had a good night and hopefully this will be a stepping stone for him and we can get him back in with a little more action in the next few games, because we will be a more dangerous team with him available."

The 22 runs Auburn scored was the most since it beat Mercer 22-6 in 2007.

Sean Ray picked up the victory after coming in relief of Price in the fifth.

He pitched 2 1/3 innings, giving up only one earned run and striking out two.

Morris and Gamache both finished off the night with three hits.

Auburn faced South Alabama Wednesday night and will host the No. 7 LSU Tigers this weekend.

Friday's game will start at 7 p.m., Saturday's game is at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Baseball Blows Out Georgia State” on social media.