Inniss Learns Valuable Lessons at Nationals

For Rachel Inniss, Auburn University gymnast, going to the NCAA Nationals in Gainesville, Fla., was an unforgettable experience.

As for going by herself and competing individually in the floor exercise, she said she was excited, but wished her team could have gone with her.

Inniss was teamed up with the University of Florida and placed 34th in section two of the championship.

"(Going to Nationals) was a bittersweet moment because I didn't have my team with me, but I was representing Auburn," Inniss said.

She said going alone was weird because she hasn't competed by herself since high school.

"It wasn't odd though," Inniss said. "I rotated with Florida, and we're the same colors. So it kind of worked out. They cheered for me and helped me if I needed help. It was kind of like my team away from my team."

The Auburn Gymnastics team has yet to see an individual player go to Nationals since 2008, but Inniss, who scored a 9.9 on her floor routine at regionals took her team back once again.

With popular hip-hop music surrounding her floor routine, Inniss said the routine was popular with the crowd.

Coach Jeff Thompson said the crowd especially reacted well to what Inniss calls her signature move, "the chicken neck."

Inniss said this move involved walking backwards while only moving her head in circles and keeping in time with the music.

She said this was the second time she has used the move and will probably use it next year.

After completing her routine in rotation five, Inniss was given a 9.7.

Inniss said going to nationals was the highlight of her year, and even though she didn't do as well as she hoped, she said she's proud of her accomplishment.

"I had a little mishap on my second pass," Inniss said. "In total, it was a good routine, but making finals you have to have that perfect routine, which I didn't have. But for being my first time at Nationals it was a great experience. I think I did the best I could under the circumstances."

Thompson said he was proud to see Inniss go to Nationals, although disappointed to see his team stay home.

He said Inniss is a tremendous athlete and brings a great deal of talent to the team.

"Anytime you have someone that can put up a 9.9, that's an outstanding contribution," Thompson said.

When Inniss came back from Nationals, she said she loved performing in front of the audience, but also was able to see the various areas in which her team needed to improve on the mat.

Inniss said she was truly inspired for her team admitting that she talked with her teammates and explained specifically what they needed to do to improve.

"It's always hard to hear the coaches say it," Inniss said. "But once you're out there and realize what other teams are doing, and to say it to your own team, that was the best thing I brought back from Nationals."

Share and discuss “Inniss Learns Valuable Lessons at Nationals” on social media.