Cafe plans to serve beer

Jamie Krywicki, head pastry chef, returns her lemon custard crepe cake to the display. (Christen Harned /  ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)
Jamie Krywicki, head pastry chef, returns her lemon custard crepe cake to the display. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Crepe Myrtle Cafe has been dabbling in more than just crepes.

According to Ian Ware, general manager, the cafe is developing the idea of implementing a "beer garden" into the unique atmosphere it already has.

The cafe, which opened last year, has slowly evolved by adding different things to the menu, as well as different attractions.

"I've worked at several different kinds of restaurants, and there is definitely something different about this place," he said.

Ware said the cafe strives to be unique and offer more eclectic items.

"We are trying to encourage a casual setting," Ware said. "There is a big fireplace on the property that is surrounded by trees and flowers. In about a month, we are going to be serving alcohol out there."

In addition to expanding the beverage menu, Ware said he is expanding the food fare as well.

"The menu had originally been influenced by German pastries, but the changes to southern-style baking have been a success," Ware said.

He has also introduced a specialty item to the menu that hasn't been seen before.

"Me and my buddy Sam introduced bleu cheese-pimento cheese to the world," Ware said. "It's kind of like pimento cheese, but with a few things added. It has been a pretty popular item on the menu."

Jamie Krywicki, senior in interior design, has been honing her pastry skills at the cafe.

"I've been baking since I was a kid, but working at the cafe has allowed me to be more creative and add certain touches to some of the pastries they have," she said. " I have been working a lot with cupcakes recently. I just made some that look like sunflowers. I have also done nontraditional cupcakes, like Boston cream pie and blueberry."

Katy O'Bryan-Flannery, junior in human development, has been with the cafe since it opened.

"I like how this place is different from any other place in Auburn," she said. "Everybody gets to do a little bit of everything, so I have gotten a chance to do some baking and work with the pastries."

The cafe is located off South Donahue Drive, tucked away behind the trees and flowers of "Blooming Colors" nursery.

John Braswell, co-owner of Crepe Myrtle Cafe and Blooming Colors, said he originally wanted to start a cafe that was based on sustainability.

"We use all fresh vegetables and ingredients in our food," Braswell said.

"We have a farmers' market located right in front of the store, and all the produce comes from local growers."

According to Braswell, the cafe hopes to keep growing and is exploring different avenues that will give Auburn residents something unique that they will enjoy.

Share and discuss “Cafe plans to serve beer” on social media.