Join The Party

Republicans hungry for victory

Derek Lacey / ASSOCIATE CAMPUS EDITOR

The 2010 midterm elections have the potential to be a Republican tsunami, as the GOP is poised to take advantage of voter frustration and ride the wave of discontent to congressional victories in November.

This year, College Republicans are 180 members strong, making them the largest student political organization on campus.

"Every time we get on the concourse or have a meeting, we've increased our membership," said Allison Kajs, senior in psychology and chair of AUCR.

While they have the majority among student organizations, Republicans don't have the majority in the state Senate or state House of Representatives, which is something AUCR is trying to change in November by helping students get to know candidates and register to vote.

"I think the most local initiative we can take on is getting our students registered to vote," Kajs said. "We also have good connections with all the local state campaigns."

Local campaigns with which AUCR is involved are Luther Strange for attorney general, Kay Ivey for lieutenant governor, Robert Bentley for governor and Young Boozer for state treasurer.

"When it comes to the footwork and the manpower, that's a lot of what we help them with," said Michael Lee, senior in accounting and treasurer of AUCR.

AUCR helps Republican candidates any way it can and has student representatives who are active in multiple campaigns on the state level.

"(We) help them out whichever way they request us to, whether it's putting a link on our website or passing out water bottles for them at game days or attending meetings, debates or forums," Kajs said. "All students can give is their time and their hard work."

AUCR urges anyone with interest to consider the organization and encourages open debate about conservative issues.

"I feel if you have that narrow set of 'This is what we believe in,' you might shut someone out," Lee said. "We try to be a group that accepts and allows everyone to come in and sort of get a feel of the general idea of what a conservative and Republican means."

Diversity is also a concern for the organization, with the next round of elections closing in fast.

"I guess my favorite thing about AUCR is that we all have different stances: you know, you're not going to agree 110 percent with everyone you meet, so I like the diversity," Kajs said.

Getting the student body involved and voting are main concerns of the AUCR, but behind those, the need for voters to be informed and well-versed in issues and candidates is a top priority.

"I just think it's really important for people our age to be aware because you know this is our country, this is our future and it's up to us to get involved," said Haley Thrift, junior in public relations and public relations liaison for AUCR. "I think College Republicans is a good way to do that and to make people aware."

AUCR is holding a voter registration drive in October and a tailgate Oct. 16 to which they have invited local GOP candidates.

With elections less than two months away, they also plan to be on the concourse frequently, encouraging students to vote.

Democrats remain upbeat in tough year

Darcie Dyer / WRITER

The Auburn University College Democrats are kicking off the semester and midterm election season with an increase in membership and enthusiasm.

"We had a great response at O-Days this year, signing up over 100 new members," said Beth Clayton, junior in nutrition and food sciences and College Democrats treasurer and public relations liaison.

Clayton said the club has a clear plan leading up to the November elections.

"They have a great sense of what they want to do this fall," said David Carter, the College Democrats adviser.

The organization is involved with state and local campaigns, including Ron Sparks for governor, Ted Little for state Senate (27th District) and Joanne Camp for family court judge.

"This is an important year for the Democrats," Clayton said. "We are working hard to keep our energy up and push through the elections. The media has painted a grim picture for the Democrats this year, but I think our usual voter base will still turn out in full force for the November elections."

Alex Roberson, junior in history and president of the club, plans to help deliver a strong voter turnout.

"Come election day we'll have a big push to get out and vote," Roberson said. "We'll knock on doors and we'll probably have a get-together as well."

The College Democrats said they are attempting to convey the importance of this election to Auburn students.

"If we don't step up to the plate now, we will see the effects for years to come," Clayton said, reiterating the organization's motto made famous by President Obama's campaign for president: "If not now, when? If not us, who?"

Roberson said he hopes Democrats will continue to make their presence known.

"I think Democrats on Auburn's campus need to know that we are here and we will absolutely welcome whatever differences you have, but we have to stand up for these differences," Roberson said. "We can't just back down because we feel like we're the minority."

Roberson and Clayton feel the Democratic influence in Alabama is understated.

"I think a common misconception is that we are outnumbered both in Auburn and in Alabama, in general. However, the numbers show we really aren't." Clayton said. "We currently hold majorities in both the state Senate and state legislature, as well as on a national level."

The organization plans on staying in force all year.

"So far, we've been focusing most of our energy on the campaign season, but we will also be active after the elections, keeping people informed about current events, hosting roundtables and book clubs and starting a community service project," Clayton said.

Meetings are held every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Student Center Room 3163.

The leadership is lacking no enthusiasm for the task ahead.

"My biggest goal with college Democrats is to encourage everyone, liberals, conservatives and moderates, to learn about the issues and quit relying on media buzz-words to shape opinions," Clayton said. "The world is changing fast, and we're at a time where we all have to care."

'Liberty' brings new perspective

Eric Austin / CAMPUS EDITOR

While Democrats and Republicans slug out their election-year battle in standard partisan fashion, the Auburn Young Americans for Liberty are seeking to tear down the system entirely.

"We want people to ask questions," said Bryant Haley, senior in software engineering and president of the club. "That's what creates the dialogue. You don't get a single point across with a bullhorn."

The club is a chapter of the national Young Americans for Liberty, which spun off from Rep. Ron Paul's (R-Texas) 2008 presidential campaign.

While the views of individual members may vary, the organization generally argues that the federal government is out of control, taxing excessively and spending far beyond its means.

"The way money is taken from us now through taxation is involuntary," Haley said. "You don't have a choice. We stress voluntary, whether it be through voluntary service or voluntary exchange in a free market."

The group's leaders envision an America where the government does not provide social services such as welfare and Social Security. They see these programs as ineffective and unfair to taxpayers.

"The whole premise of liberty is voluntary action and personal responsibility," said Josh Jackson, graduate student in chemical engineering and co-founder of the Auburn chapter. "Society should voluntarily accept responsibility for its bad choices."

Although they advocate the abolition of many social services, the club's leaders stress they are not advocating throwing people on the street.

"If we think that the government should do less in terms of helping people, you obviously have to replace that," said Michael Marsocci, senior in civil engineering and co-founder of the club.

For YAL, this replacement will come in the form of volunteer efforts.

They see helping people on a grassroots, one-on-one level infinitely more effective than large-scale government programs.

"It's your duty to volunteer, to help with a boys and girls club, to tutor and do things like that," Marsocci said. "And that's what we try to do is organize these things."

Bryant said they consulted with the IMPACT program on how their members could get involved in the community.

While the YAL feels government is out of touch and out of control, they are not necessarily fired up about the November elections.

"Especially in Alabama, there are no real liberty candidates that we could endorse," Jackson said. "What we do want is for people to know enough to where they feel responsible enough to vote if they choose to do so."

Thus, YAL's major goal is education. They can usually be seen on the Haley Center concourse at least once a week, having conversations with passing students. They also have a book club of sorts, encouraging members to peruse literature about social, political and economic theory.

"We want people to come, be involved and learn as much as they can," Bryant said.

Though their politics may not fall into the two-party mainstream, YAL is merely seeking to open a dialogue and advance its positions of small government and what they see as individual liberty. They said college students can sometimes lose sight of what really matters.

"You're in a bubble when you are in college," Jackson said. "There could be a war going on, and you've got your meal plan and your classes and parties to go to. And it's easy to ignore what's going on."

Share and discuss “Join The Party” on social media.