Soccer ends the weekend 1-1

The Auburn womens soccer team kicked-off SEC play this weekend as they hosted the Mississippi State Bulldogs Friday and the Ole Miss Rebels Sunday.

No. 25 Auburn is now 1-1 in SEC play, with a 3-1 win against Mississippi State and a 2-1 loss to Ole Miss.

"Friday's game was a different opponent and a different game," said head coach Karen Hoppa. " It's hard to compare the two."

In Friday's game, Auburn got on the board early with an 11th minute goal by sophomore forward Mary Coffed.

Coffed was able to get a shot in the back of the net with an assist from senior forward Ashley Marks.

Auburn continued to dominate throughout the game and managed another goal only 12 minutes after the first. Junior midfielder Katy Frierson added another point to her resume with that goal.

Adding more of cushion to the 2-0 lead was Senior midfielder Gabi Rivera's 79th minute goal.

Although happy with a win, Marks said there is still room for improvement.

"As a whole, we don't think it was one of our best games," Marks said. "We didn't do all of the things that we know how to do and all of the things we should have done."

This win marks the ninth consecutive time that Auburn has defeated Mississippi State.

However, the Bulldog's were able to avoid a complete shutout by scoring a last minute goal from Mississippi State's Elisabeth Sullivan.

The Tigers had to deal with a quagmire of a field on Sunday's game against Ole Miss.

The rain was pretty consistent and left both fans and players drenched.

"It was a tough game for us, and obviously the conditions played a role," Frierson said. "It's always an emotional game with them."

Marks snagged the only goal for Auburn. She landed the 69th minute goal with help from Coffed and freshman Maddie Barns.

The team had gained momentum in the second half, but was still unable to overcome Ole Miss' defensive efforts.

"We needed to play 90 minutes like we did the second 45," Hoppa said. "We didn't have enough energy in the the first half."

The team will head to Fayettville to face-off against the Arkansas Razorbacks Oct. 1.

Share and discuss “Soccer ends the weekend 1-1” on social media.