Class adds twist to working out

Circuit with a Twist instructor Ahaja Scott leads the group in cardio-dance exercises in between each station. (Maria Iampietro / Associate Photo Editor)

The Circuit with a Twist class at the Student Activity Center includes an hour of intense cardio and weight exercises.

Stations are numbered with orange laminated signs and set up around room 207A of the Student Act.

"This is my second time attending this class," said Laura Maples, an Auburn graduate student with a major in library media. "My favorite thing about the class is its variety. You're always switching between cardio and weights so it doesn't get boring."

Maples has attended many classes offered at the Student Act, such as kickboxing and Zumba. However, she said Circuit with a Twist is the most challenging class she's participated in.

"You get a total body workout with Circuit with a Twist," said Ragen Heart, junior in exercise science and personal trainer at the Student Activity Center. "Circuit with a Twist is more exciting because it includes dancing as part of the cardio. I think that's one thing the students really like about it."

The circuit class is already a huge hit on campus.

The class usually only allows 20 people; however, the class was forced to expand by a few people because of the multitude of students who wanted to attend.

"I've had to turn people away because the class was too full," said Melissa Link, trainer for the Thursday night class.

Link has been teaching exercise classes for two years and recently began leading Circuit with a Twist for the Student Act.

"The class is most crowded on Monday and Tuesday nights because everyone who attends feels like they need to burn off what they gained from the weekend," Link said.

The class participates in one and half minutes of fun dancing to warm up. The warm-up dance incorporates fast side-stepping, shoulder rolls and a series of lunges.

Next comes the hour of intense cardio and weight training.

Only five minutes into the class and the participants are out of breath, yet they push themselves harder on the Power Towers and lift that extra 10 pounds of weights to meet their goals for the class.

Brightly colored exercise balls, weights that vary from five to 20 pounds and machines that are dedicated to improve muscle mass are all a part of Circuit with a Twist.

Share and discuss “Class adds twist to working out” on social media.