Tigers aim to leap higher in Florida

Freshman DJ Smith cleared 2.18 meters in the high jump, earning second place at the Tiger Classic. (Maria Iampietro / Associate Photo Editor)

The Auburn Tigers track and field team hopes to vault over the competition at the Seminole Invitational hosted by Florida State University this weekend.

The Tigers aim to continue their success from last weekend and will have to do so against eight other schools including Florida State, Florida A&M, Jacksonville, Georgia Tech and Northwestern State.

"This weekend we are going to try and be the better competition," said head coach Ralph Spry. "We're just going to line up and be more competitive and improve each weekend.

"This will give us a chance to evaluate and see where we are as we head to the meat and potatoes of the season, which is our conference championships in about five or six weeks."

The Seminoles will host their second meet of the season.

The Florida State men's team is currently No. 5 in the U.S. Track and Field and Country Coaches Association while the women's team is No. 17.

"When we go to Florida State, the competition will get better," Spry said. "Then we come home the following week the competition will get better again."

Key athletes for Auburn include senior sprinter Joanna Atkins, senior distance runner Holly Knight, junior distance runner Ben Cheruiyot, as well as several newcomers.

Freshman Keenan Brock turned some heads after what he said was a great weekend.

"We started off by winning the 4x100-meter relay, and I came back a few hours later and won the 100-meter dash," Brock said. "The team overall is doing great.

"Everyone is out there trying to win their event and trying to do well for the Tigers."

Brock was named Southeastern Conference Men's Track and Field Freshman of the Week following his wins in the 100-meter dash and anchoring the winning 4x100-meter relay team.

In the 100-meter dash, Brock defeated sophomore teammate and All-American Harry Adams by 0.001 seconds as both recorded official times of 10.21.

They are now tied for third in the NCAA this year.

Freshman DJ Smith was second overall, but first among collegians in the high jump after clearing 2.18 meters for the second straight week.

Smith finished behind former Tiger and world champion Donald Thomas, who jumped 2.30 meters.

A thigh injury prevented Atkins from participating in the NCAA Indoor Championships, but she is slowly getting back on track with the help of altered workouts and rehab.

Atkins helped guide Auburn to victories in both the women's 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relays with the team of senior Shenique Ferguson, sophomore Kai Selvon and junior Nivea Smith.

The team clocked a time of 43.80 seconds in the 4x100-meter, which ranks second in the NCAA this year and seventh in school history.

"I did well," Atkins said. "I wasn't expecting too much because I am coming off an injury.

"So I'm slowly getting back in, but it was good, and I'm feeling a lot better, and I don't think it'll be a problem anymore."

Atkins said she believes the team needs to work more on chemistry, but that it is just a matter of time before things come together.

"To be more successful, I believe we need to be a little more comfortable around each other," Atkins said.

"The 4x100, for example, was my first time running the first leg, so I was extremely nervous. The first time around I held on the baton a little too tight.

"So I have to get a little more comfortable running it, but we'll be fine by the time SEC comes around."

Other notable performances at the Tiger Classic came from Knight, Cheruiyot and Saenz.

"Brock, DJ Smith, Saenz and Knight are just a handful of the names," Spry said.

"The biggest thing is that everybody looked pretty solid, and again, I'm pleased with the total effort as a team."

Knight cruised to a victory in the women's 1500-meter with a time of 4:26.68 that ranks seventh in Auburn Outdoor history.

She finished nearly 10 seconds ahead of Joan Tangwar, who took second place.

Cheruiyot won the men's 3000-meter with a facility record-breaking time of 8:09.10.

Saenz won the discus for the second week in a row with a top throw of 52.84 meters to edge Mike Schallmo of Duke by one inch.

The Seminole Invitational will be held all day this Friday and Saturday.

Share and discuss “Tigers aim to leap higher in Florida” on social media.