Tony Caldwell makes every achievement count

Tony Caldwell, senior in sociology from Winter Springs, Fla., is getting closer with every achievement to making his childhood dream of playing baseball in the Major League a reality.

Caldwell has earned many achievements during his 18-year baseball career, but on May 24 it was announced that he had been voted second team All-SEC right before the Auburn Tigers took on the SEC Tournament.

"It was an honor, and I was very excited to achieve a goal that I set in the beginning of the year," he said. "It will definitely be something I will look back on and be proud of for many years to come."

When his mother and father got him started in sports, no one could have predicted he would have a career piled full of highlights.

Caldwelll began his journey to success at an early age. Throughout his high school career, he was named Seminole County player of the year, MVP for baseball his senior year and best male athlete at Winter Springs High School.

Along with being a gifted baseball player, he was also voted MVP for football his senior year.

After receiving a scholarship to play baseball at Auburn in January 2008, Caldwell was quick to make his mark in Samford Stadium.

In 2009, he became one of seven sophomores on a list of 53 to be named to the Johnny Bench Award Watch List, recognition he would find himself being given again in 2010.

During this season he also had a multi-homer game, a first for his career, going 2-for-5 with two home runs against Lipscomb.

"Tony plays the game with a lot of passion and enthusiasm," said Link Jarrett, Director of Player Development. "He shows up every day to do whatever he can to help us win."

Then in early 2011, the accolades kept on rolling for Caldwell. In May it was announced for the first time that he was one of 13 semi-finalists for the same Coleman Company Johnny Bench Award he had found his name on many times before.

Caldwell said he draws inspiration from his heart.

"Always play and work hard no matter what by playing with passion and having fun," he said.

Throughout 2011, Caldwell has started behind the plate in 45 games. Overall, he is sixth in the SEC with a .442 base percentage and is tied with former All-American and Auburn graduate Casey Dunn for his ability to throw out 57 base stealers.

With all Caldwell has accomplished at Auburn, he is still finding time to plan for the future and figure out a way he can give back some of what he has learned.

"(I plan) to graduate from Auburn with a sociology degree, get drafted and eventually play in the big leagues," he said. "I also want to pass on my knowledge of baseball to be a baseball coach."

Share and discuss “Tony Caldwell makes every achievement count” on social media.