Auburn: Quaint city with small-town feel

You may not have noticed, but it's football season again.

This time of year more than any other, school spirit abounds and the love of competition increases. Therefore, in the spirit of friendly rivalry, we have decided to include a comparison between various aspects of Auburn and Alabama in each tab.

This week, we focused on Auburn as a college town versus Tuscaloosa as a college town.

I am a city girl at heart, it's true. But even I recognize that the small-town feel of Auburn is what makes it so appealing as a college town.

The major attractions for students, such as bars and restaurants, are arranged in two major strips, making them easily and safely reached on foot. However, they are interspersed with quaint shops and gift stores to soften the downtown personality and provide something of a family-friendly atmosphere as well.

In general, the layout of the town is both safe and charming--something we know parents look for when they send their kids to school--without being too quiet to attract revelers on a Friday (or Thursday, or Wednesday) night.

Unlike schools located in larger or less well-contained cities, Auburn University's campus is able to locate itself in the heart of town without sprawling into the actual streets. It is more or less self-contained, so students can walk to class uninhibited. However, since it is bordered at its entrance by the busy downtown Auburn, students are able to reach the social center of town within minutes of their last class ending.

We all know the real appeal of Auburn as a college town lies in its family atmosphere.

Let's face it, the town practically revolves around the University--therefore, students are never at a loss for support from the other citizens with whom they share their city.

No matter where you go--restaurants, stores, public parks, places of worship--the people around you are always happy to welcome students, always curious about where you're from, always interested in what you're studying and always proud to support another contributor to Auburn's legacy as a true college town.

How do you stack up, Alabama?

Share and discuss “Auburn: Quaint city with small-town feel” on social media.