New $9 million-plus aquatic research center swims into town

The cost of the new Center for Aquatic Research Management was mitigated by funding from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Schools of fish and researchers are expected to swarm the new Auburn University Center for Aquatic Research Management.

The $9 million-plus facility was constructed at the E.W. Shell Research Center, located next to the market operated by the Auburn fisheries department at 2101 N. College St. "We predict this new facility will bring students and civilians of all ages to Auburn's campus in an effort to learn more about Alabama's aquaculture," said Katie Jackson, chief editor at the Office of Agricultural Communications and Marketing.

Jackson said this facility has been a long time in the making.

Recent funding from private donors, the University and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration made it possible for the center to open this year.

"The center will promote three of the University's core ideals: research, teaching and outreach," Jackson said. "This is an opportunity to get students, faculty and the Auburn community involved in Alabama's extensive aquaculture."

Jackson said the center will have amenities that the E.W. Shell Research Center lacked,

including interactive learning kiosks, static image displays along the walls, flat-screen televisions and live-fish aquariums.

"This facility will provide a public face for the Auburn fisheries department that matches its outstanding reputation," said David Cline, extension specialist in the department.

Jackson said the fisheries department is ranked No. 1 in the nation, and it is recognized internationally as having premier research facilities.

"The ultimate goal of this project is to make people aware not only of what happens at the facility and in Auburn's fisheries department, but also the importance of how they affect aquaculture on a state, national and international level," Cline said.

Cline said the visitor center is still under construction, but he expects it to be installed with the interactive equipment and be of museum quality within the next six months.

"We have had over 600 people come to the Research Center prior to the opening of the visitor center in our administration building," said Randell Goodman, director of the E.W. Shell Research Center.

Goodman said he anticipates the opening of the visitor center to increase attendance and enhance the center's ability to educate and demonstrate what the fisheries department offers.

"We will focus on three areas: aquatic ecology, recreational sport fish management and aquaculture," Goodman said.

Young children will also be able to participate.

"In the past, we've really only been able to accommodate children from the sixth grade up to high schoolers and college students," Goodman said.

"Now that we'll have instruments such as flat-screen panels, televisions, aquariums and kiosks, we will be able to educate the younger demographic as well."

Goodman said his team is excited about this facility becoming an asset to the community.

"Not many people know this, but Auburn is home to the largest fisheries research department in the world."

Share and discuss “New $9 million-plus aquatic research center swims into town” on social media.