The Plainsman can offer more than just news

Some things at Auburn are expected. Rolling Toomers after a victory, yelling "War Eagle" at any public event and picking up the Plainsman every Thursday. The Plainsman is a part of what makes Auburn, Auburn. These pages are created every week by a hard-working group of student journalists who are dedicated to bringing you the news. With that said, creating a publication that can be read by 25,000 students, a local community and the online world is one of the most badass things I've ever done. Here are four reasons you should write for the Plainsman.

1. You get to be part of Auburn history. Imagine 100 years from now, you will most likely be dead, unless you're a vampire or hobbit, but somewhere in the Ralph Brown Draughn Library archive, an Auburn Plainsman will exist with your name and story. Some eager journalism student will be writing a story on what Auburn life was like in the 21st century, and you will be their guide.

2. You get substantial experience for your resume. Building your resume in college isn't difficult. With a myriad of clubs and organizations, pushing your resume into the two-page mark will happen faster than you can say, "I'm in." Will being a member of the board game society get you that first job? Probably not. Unless you're applying to work at Mattel. However, working for a paper where you learned to work under pressure, on deadlines and for a major university may do the trick.

3. You get paid. Finding a job in this economy is not easy, especially on campus. We pay every two weeks.

4. You'll make life-long connections. In the job market, I've heard it's not what you know, it's who you know. As a Plainsman reporter, you meet all kinds of people. Little do you know now, some of those people you meet are going to be CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, famous athletes or possibly president. The connections you make now could be ones that last forever.

Working for the Plainsman can be one of the greatest things you do at Auburn. Stop by the Plainsman office, Suite 1111 in the Student Center, every Wednesday at 7 p.m. to volunteer. If writing isn't your thing, but you still want to contribute, send us your ideas at editor@theplainsman.com or leave us a message on our Facebook wall at Facebook.com/theplainsman

Share and discuss “The Plainsman can offer more than just news” on social media.