Fake Christmas trees become more popular

One of the oldest Christmas traditions--cutting down a tree for the holidays--may find itself having a bit of competition this upcoming Christmas.

With fake trees becoming more popular in homes across the country, owners of tree farms are having a hard time making sales.

"Since the pull of the economy in the past 4 or 5 years, I've seen a decrease in sales," said Josh Chance, co-owner of Wilson's Woodyard LLC, in Opelika.

Although sales are low Chance still manages to make sales.

"We don't sell that many trees, maybe about 120 a season," Chance said. "We're a small business, so we've only been in business for 4 or 5 years."

With allergies being an issue for many, like John Schmidt's son, fake trees are some folks' only option.

"I have an artificial tree because my son has asthma," said Schmidt, who works as a store team manager at Target. " It seems to help his allergies."

Others who do not have allergies find buying a real Christmas comforting.

"I like real trees because they remind me of Christmas and my childhood," said Caitlin Miller, freshman in pre-physical therapy.

Chance said the real trees give off a fresh, familiar scent that can bring memories back.

"We got a real tree because my mom and dad liked the smell and how it looked," Miller said.

Although the pine tree scent is comforting to some, others finding it less than appealing.

"I don't like the smell of Christmas trees," said Lauren Nix, freshman in elementary education. "It's just gross to me."

Although the allure of the real trees still keeps their sales on the market, fake Christmas trees gradually increase in popularity with a generous amount of sales each season, said Schmidt.

"Artificial trees have been doing tremendously well," Schmidt said. "We sell a lot each year. They continue to be a strong seasonal category for us."

Prices of real trees can range from $50-$120, Chance said.

Another factor in the reasoning behind buying fake trees comes from the saving of money throughout the years.

"The price is a big factor, " Schmidt said. "You can buy one artificial tree for $150, and then not buy a tree every year, saving you around $150 a year."

Nix has been a part of this growing artificial tree trend for a while.

"We've had our tree for about 13 years," she said.

The popularity of fake trees does not just stop with Nix's family.

"Everybody I know has fake trees," Nix said. "My best friend is allergic to real Christmas trees, so she can't have one."

Artificial trees are easier to put up and take down every year Schmidt said.

"We decorate our fake tree just the same," Nix said. "I put lights and ornaments on it. I also put a pretty blue ribbon on it. It looks like a normal Christmas tree, like ones that you would see in the movies."

Share and discuss “Fake Christmas trees become more popular” on social media.