Your view: Fans shock with rival's treatment

The 2011 Iron Bowl is in the books. My team won, which is always good; but that's not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about the Auburn fans and faithful that my wife and I encountered at the game on Saturday. This was our first Iron Bowl at Auburn and also the first Iron Bowl we've attended since the Punt-Bama-Punt Iron Bowl of 1972.

Yes, I'm sure you remember how that one ended.

We were students at U of A back then, and like most everyone on, or close to, campus, we were totally consumed by the Alabama-Auburn rivalry. It was intense, it was hostile, it was loud, it was everywhere and it was in-your-face.

Over the years since 1972, the intensity of the rivalry seemed to mellow just a little. While it remains the most intense rivalry in all of college sports, it had grown a little more civilized and less mean-spirited.

That was, until some deranged lunatic--yes, apparently an Alabama fan--actually poisoned the Toomer's Corner Oak trees. This vile, disgusting, contemptuous and despicable act could easily have taken the rivalry to new depths of anger and hatred.

As we arrived in Auburn on Saturday morning, we were expecting plenty of hostility from the Auburn faithful. And yet, we saw none. Zero. Nada.

Every single Auburn fan we encountered on Saturday was congenial, pleasant, hospitable and even friendly to those of us wearing crimson. Of course they all wanted to win the game and were disappointed at the outcome. But every Auburn fan we met was polite, courteous and welcoming to the Alabama supporters.

The only rude behavior we encountered all day was some guy pushing and shoving to get down the stadium steps faster. And, I regret to say, he was wearing crimson and white.

Colonel Ray Gauger

Arab, Alabama

Share and discuss “Your view: Fans shock with rival's treatment” on social media.