Freshman Forum hosts swing dancing benefit

The Freshman Forum will host "Juke for Luke" from 7-9 p.m. Monday in the Student Center, Room 2222. The dance event is in honor of Luke Steinmann, who died of an aneurysm last March after spending some time in a coma.

Emily Estes, freshman in business and Steinmann's best friend, has been working with Family Legacy and Steinmann's family in Texas to create Luke's Lighthouse, a house for orphaned children in Zambia, Africa.

"It's going to be a home to about 14 girls and boys and children who are just in really bad situations," Estes said. "We'll give them three meals a day and a Christian education and just the chance at life they never would have been given otherwise."

One of Estes' friends goes to Zambia every summer and came up with the idea to build a house there in honor of Steinmann.

"He always loved working with kids in the children's ministry, and any chance he got he was helping everyone else," Estes said. "After he passed we just wanted to keep his legacy living and keep the light shining for the Lord."

Money has been raised through selling bracelets and T-shirts, as well as concert and 5K fundraisers, and tonight there will be swing dancing and food for anyone who pays the $5 admission.

The full $80,000 needed to fund the house was generated through these fundraisers by Jan. 31, but the event's proceeds will still go to a good cause, said Jack Roberson, director of the Freshman Forum.

"When we planned the event originally I think we were lacking about $10,000, but since then all the money has been provided," Roberson said. "So we're still raising money, but whatever money we raise tonight will go toward his parents to pay for medical bills."

Estes said Luke's Lighthouse will be finished in July, and many of the people involved will visit the house and honor Luke.

Share and discuss “Freshman Forum hosts swing dancing benefit” on social media.