The South hasn't truly broken from past

You'd think we would have overcome racism by now, seeing how it's 2012 and the Civil War has ended more than a century ago, but some individuals still seem to be growing up with the same values as the Confederates.

Coming from the North--yes, I'm a yankee--we don't see as much racism as I have discovered there still is in the South.

Of course there are still racial issues in the North, but some in the South actually take pride in their hate, seen in many forms like Confederate flags hanging in windows and discriminatory signs or messages on the backs of vehicles.

Terrible things were done to African-Americans in the South, and Southerners proud of the Confederacy still, to this day, are technically supporting the enslavement of millions of African-Americans from colonial America to the late 1800s.

You'd think America would have been far past this by now, considering the Civil Rights movement was more than 50 years ago, but you can still see the misplaced pride some individuals have for the Confederacy hanging on their bedroom walls.

Out of all the Southern-born people I've met here at Auburn, I can say most of them are accepting of all races, but when you talk about having a relationship with someone of the opposite race, whether it is a long term relationship or just a fun Saturday night, something switches in those peoples' reactions. They just react differently, and negatively, to interracial relationships.

Although they may be respectful and cordial to that person of a different race as friends, hearing word of one of their friends having relations of any kind with someone of a different race sends them a message that their friend's or even their reputation could be tarnished.

I understand that some of these beliefs come from a person's parents or grandparents and how they were raised, but I still won't give them any slack for being judgmental of people who date someone of a difference ethnicity.

If people who don't accept interracial relationships don't think they're racist, they should really rethink some things. I understand that people may not be attracted to another ethnicity, but that gives people no right to judge anyone for dating someone of a different race.

I'm in no way saying that everyone in the South is secretly prejudice against all minorities, but many people still hold those awful thoughts deep in their hearts because "that is how they were raised."

What is more appalling is that most individuals who feel that way towards minorities know it's wrong.

So why don't they change?

Studies have shown that it is possible for children growing up in homes full of drug and alcohol abuse, as well as physical and emotional abuse, to be nothing like their parents. People can end the the awful cycle of hate.

It is possible for children to have different views about life from their parents, but to what extent does the human race really have to go to eliminate all racism?

I hope I will live long enough to see some serious changes in the South, I love it here but Southern hospitality only goes so far.

Share and discuss “The South hasn't truly broken from past” on social media.