Varnadore leads Auburn to opening-night victory at Plainsman Park

Derek Varnadore had a strong showing on opening day against the Missouri Tigers, striking out 11 batters in seven innings in the 5-2 win for Auburn. After taking the fall off for rehabilitation, Varnadore silenced any doubters by giving up only five hits and walking two batters in his senior-year debut.

Auburn was led offensively by sohphomore Jay Gonzalez and senior Creede Simpson. Gonzalez had two hits in five at bats with one RBI while Simpson had two hits in three at bats with an RBI. Coach John Pawlowski was pleased with how Simpson has become acclimated to his new position at second base.

"Creede is so athletic, and moving him to the infield allows us to get another speed guy in there," he said.

Other players contributing to the RBI column were sophomore Ryan Tella, junior Cullen Wacker and freshman Jarred Smith with two RBIs. After seven innings, senior Zach Blatt was brought on to close out the game, doing so with three strikouts; he allowed two hits and one run.

Due to the possibility of inclement weather tomorrow, the baseball staff will evaluate playing conditions at 9 a.m. Saturday. Saturday's game is scheduled for 3 p.m. with junior Slade Smith getting the start.

Share and discuss “Varnadore leads Auburn to opening-night victory at Plainsman Park” on social media.