Travel With Care 2012 kicks off Monday

Auburn will launch its 2012 Travel With Care campaign Monday, March 19 at 10:30 a.m. on Samford Lawn.

"Travel With Care is a transportation safety campaign that encourages courtesy between all modes of transposition such as walking, cycling and driving," said Brandy Ezelle, City of Auburn traffic engineer. "The campaign aims to educate citizens on the laws and rules established to enhance the safety of all road users."

The campaign will use posters, flyers, message boards, radio ads, social media and banners to provide education of traffic and safety issues such as nighttime visibility, jaywalking, proper passing of transit and school busses, and the new "give me three" law for passing cyclists, Ezelle said.

During the campaign there will be more visibility of police officers, especially the bike officers, said Bill James, public safety director for the City of Auburn.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones also said extra efforts will be put into action by his deputy sheriffs during the campaign.

"We will make special efforts to promote the Travel With Care program in contacts with the motoring public and with youth throughout Lee County," Jones said. "This will include preventive patrols concentrating on specific locations and violations that are reported by citizens and noticed by our deputy sheriffs. We will be encouraging everyone to be particularly attentive in and around school zones and residential areas."

In addition to advertisements and more patrolling, event stations will be set up at various locations each day of the weeklong campaign.

While visiting the stations, residents will receive transportation safety literature and a free gift. Each person will also be entered to win one of the three grand prize packs, including a Nike reflective jacket valued at $350.

Last year residents were asked to wear white in observance of those who had been affected by pedestrian, bicycle, transit or vehicular accidents. However, this year free T-shirts will be given out at the event stations, and residents will be asked to wear them Friday in observance of those who were affected last year, Ezelle said.

James said he believes this campaign is important for Auburn residents, especially Auburn students, because he thinks all pedestrians need to be aware of automobiles while they are crossing streets.

"Always walk defensively," he said. "Make eye contact with the driver before crossing the street. I see many pedestrians cross the street without ever looking both directions. This could have tragic results. Drivers also need to be aware of pedestrians, especially in the downtown area that has many pedestrians crossing streets."

The 2012 Travel With Care campaign is presented by the City of Auburn, Auburn University, Auburn Police and the Lee County Sheriff's Office. It is sponsored in part by Big Dog Running Co, which is offering a 15 percent discount on reflective material purchased March 19-23.

For more information about the 2012 Travel With Care campaign, transportation safety laws and how to become involved, visit www.travelwithcareauburn.com or contact Brandy Ezelle, City of Auburn traffic engineer, or Susan Mccallister, associate director of public safety information and education at Auburn University.

Monday, March 19 - 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Toomer's Corner

Tuesday, March 20 - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Auburn University concourse

Wednesday, March 21 - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Magnolia Avenue across from Chic-Fil-A

5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Village courtyard

Thursday, March 22 - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Auburn University concourse

Friday, March 23 - 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the corner of Magnolia Avenue and Donahue Drive

Share and discuss “Travel With Care 2012 kicks off Monday” on social media.