Athletes' in-class behavior irritates

I have had the pleasure of meeting many athletes in my classes at Auburn, and so far they have all been normal students in a classroom, and many are engaging--until I walked into a business class last week.

I go to this class every time class is held and was surprised to find three athletes from the same sport, which will remain unnamed, in class (surprised, because I have never seen them in class before, and it is past mid semester). This is a letter of disappointment. One athlete's behavior was appropriate. The other two athletes, however, were even asked by the first to stop.

The particular athletes' conduct in class made me want to apologize to the professor on their behalf.

No, I am not saying they should have necessarily been completely attentive and vigorously taking notes--none of us do that anyway. However, the loud talking, laughing, eating, and phone calls during class really crossed the line.

If even your teammate and peer does not agree with you and thinks you are out of line to the point to say something to you about it, then you have really crossed the line pretty far. I would expect any man or woman who goes to Auburn University to understand that they represent the University in their behavior and actions. Especially those who specifically represent the University to others through organizations, such as sports, should understand that they are charged with this representation upon entering the organization and should behave appropriately.

I would hope to think that fellow Auburn students, most importantly those who have the opportunity to represent Auburn to others, would not act this way.

Heather Oakes

senior, chemical engineering and English literature

Share and discuss “Athletes' in-class behavior irritates” on social media.