College was about more than preparing for a job

I'm not a senior. I'm not a senior. That's what I've been telling myself the last couple of days. It's so odd how as a kid you wish to grow up and as an adult you wish to be a kid.

Tuesday I became an alum in my sorority--my home for four years--and today I relinquish my position as Intrigue Editor--a position not even on my radar beginning junior year.

College is a mighty interesting time. We are somewhat on our own, but are in the bubble we call Auburn. I'm not talking about failing at finances and having your parents bail you out. I'm saying even if you get a parking ticket or F on a test, you can talk your way out of both--learn from mistakes without serious consequences.

I feel the idea of college has become degree equals job. The idea is very misconstrued to me. Don't misunderstand, I want a job when I graduate and feel I am prepared for one. However, college is a time to explore ideas, meet diverse groups of people, disagree on issues and find your passion and yes even fail--not solely prepare for a job.

Auburn has taught me to be a leader, to have compassion and humility and live life to the fullest. Ironically all of these lessons have come outside the classroom. I cherish my journalism degree, but it's what professors and faculty have pushed me to do outside the classroom that means the most.

If I could give one piece of advice, it's to explore every corner and niche our wonderful University has to offer. For me it was Alpha Chi Omega, Camp War Eagle, The Auburn Plainsman and service learning. Explore what your political interests are, push yourself to meet as many people as you can, run a half marathon. Go join a club, experience life, be an advocate for a cause. Leave Auburn knowing yourself.

That will get you a job or at least give you the confidence to find the right one for you.

I am a senior. Here I am world, whatcha got?

Share and discuss “College was about more than preparing for a job” on social media.