New 'drop fee' policy starts summer term

Keeping up with other schools in the SEC doesn't only apply to athletics. After two years researching other Southeastern Conference schools, Auburn is implementing a new "drop fee" similar to those of other universities.

Beginning summer semester of 2012, students will have two days after the term begins to drop a class. If a student drops a class during the third to fifth day after the semester, the student will be charged $100 for each class dropped during that period.

The free period for adding and dropping is lengthened in the fall and spring semesters. Students will have until the fifth day of the semester to drop a class for free. From days six through 15, the fee will be charged for each class.

Associate registrar Betsy Clifton said the fee was instituted in order to open registration for all students. According to Clifton, students would register for 18-21 hours and drop classes right before the 15th class day, the last day to drop before receiving a "W" on one's transcript, not allowing another student to add that class.

"It came from enrollment management due to capacity issues," Clifton said. "We have so many people and not enough seats for many of the classes. It's a very small percentage of students who hoard these classes, and we have to make it fair for all students."

Clifton stressed that understanding the timing of the fee is key.

"It's not the first five days of the class," Clifton said. "It's the first five days of the term. Students need to be aware of the dates. It doesn't count Saturday or Sunday, but five calendar days."

Clifton said the fee's implementation was discussed across all the University's colleges and was decided on by many different members of the administration and faculty.

"It started with enrollment management, then subcommittee were formed with all the associate deans, then back to the provost, then all the way to the president," Clifton said. "It touches on every college, every subcommittee and the provost office."

There are a few exceptions and special circumstances regarding the fee.

If a student is in a class and the department changes its section number, but the student remains in the class, he or she won't be charged because the change in section wasn't their doing.

Also, if a student has a hold on his or her account during the first five days and can't drop, Clifton said simply come by the registrar's office in Mary Martin Hall.

"We drop through holds," Clifton said. "We can't add through hold, but if you have a financial hold you can't drop because it says you have a hold. But I can override the hold."

Share and discuss “New 'drop fee' policy starts summer term” on social media.