Fall break in the future?

Parrish said being president for a year has reaffirmed his love for Auburn. (Courtesy of Owen Parrish)

This summer the Student Government Association sent out a survey to all current students requesting whether they would prefer a fall break in upcoming years, and the students overwhelmingly voted yes.

Although students voted in favor of a fall break, the mid-semester break will not be implemented until at least 2013.

Approximately 4,700 students responded to the survey, and 70 percent of those who responded said they would prefer a two-day fall break.

Though that number is not close to the total Auburn student population, SGA representatives believe it adequately represents the students.

"We had a huge response rate on this survey, especially for a summer," said SGA President Owen Parrish. "I am very happy to see that students voiced their opinions so loudly. Such a positive response is very encouraging and helps us tremendously in making sure we are working for the betterment of Auburn."

Parrish ran for SGA president with the possibility of a fall break as one of his main campaigning platforms.

"It was great to see that this initiative would benefit students academically, and it is so good to know students are in favor of this," said Collier Tynes, SGA chief of staff and head of the Fall Break Task Force.

"The SGA will only push initiatives that will benefit fellow students, and with these results we can move forward."

The reason for suggesting a fall break was so students could have some time off in the middle of the fall to recharge for the final push of the semester.

"I could always use a short break at any time during the semester," said Robert Bilbrough, senior in industrial design. "It's really easy to get worn out by schoolwork mid- to late semester, and I think a fall break will help fight that."

Share and discuss “Fall break in the future?” on social media.