Toomer's Oaks cleared for rolling

In a written update from the University, officials state that, though more pruning will likely be necessary, it will also leave the trees 'aesthetically dead.' (Melody Kitchens/ INTRIGUE EDITOR)

Although many branches were removed from Toomer's Oaks on Wednesday leaving them visibly bare, students new to the University will be able to join in the tradition that is known as the rolling of Toomer's Corner as the landmark oaks have been cleared for the famous celebratory activity.

Several committees of the University, such as Auburn Alumni Affairs and the Committee to Determine the Future of Rolling Toomer's Corner, have been working to make the best decision regarding the use of the limbs and the future of the legendary Toomer's Oaks.

According to a University statement, "While long-term decisions about the trees have not been made, fans are welcome to gather at the corner this fall and continue the tradition of rolling the trees with toilet paper."

The statement also said that the significant pruning took place due to safety reasons as advised by the University's Tree Preservation Committee.

"A tree service contractor, under the supervision of Auburn's Facilities Management, removed weakened branches above the plaza and streets at the corner of College Street and Magnolia Avenue," said the statement. "This was done between summer and fall semesters because of fewer pedestrians on campus and less vehicle traffic."

Some residents and others involved with the recovery of the trees and the case against Harvey Updyke, who allegedly poisoned the landmark oaks with Spike 80DF, were put under a gag order in June to ensure an impartial jury and protect Updyke's right to a fair trial.

Share and discuss “Toomer's Oaks cleared for rolling” on social media.